need some information on how to help a blind Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
t9dragon said:
Not sure as to what the temps and humidity should be, I just thought if it was in an aquarium it would hold better temps and that way I can mist him better. Right now he is in the bottom of a guinea pig cage..

It will hold better humidity but the temps are much harder to hold in aquariums unless the room it is in is quite warm. You will also want to try to make it a closed chamber so that it takes longer for the humidity to go down. Dean recently made a care sheet on sulcatas so here you go http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-AFRICAN-SPURRED-TORTOISE-SULCATA-CARE-SHEET#axzz24FyqPouy :)

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
Well the little guy has been home for a week now and is doing good I soak him once to twice a day and then set him in with the veggies my guess is he eats but sometimes it is hard to tell. He motors around his perimetter of his enclosure going from the hot side to the cool side...

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
Just to let everyone know our blind Sulcata is doing well and is eating on her own. I started soaking her every other day. On Wednesday we will be getting 3 more baby Sulcatas to grow up with our blind baby...

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
t9dragon said:
Just to let everyone know our blind Sulcata is doing well and is eating on her own. I started soaking her every other day. On Wednesday we will be getting 3 more baby Sulcatas to grow up with our blind baby...

I'm glad to hear that it's doing well! Be careful that it doesn't get bullied by the other sulcatas and make sure she's eating :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad all is doing good. You do know about sulcatas being together, right? Unless you have a very large enclosure and and lots of sight barriers, sulcatas can not live with each other. The blind one should always be alone. They don't need friends to live with nor do they want them. Be very prepared to give them all their own space.

M

Maggie Cummings

Your baby would do better off alone. If he were mine I wouldn't put anyone with him. You say he's eating now, so my advice to you would be to leave the status quo, leave him living and eating alone. He will do much better...

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
I haven't posted in a while. So I thought I would let everyone know that my blind Sulcata is doing very well and has adapted to having 3 more Sulcata's living with it. I will post pictures of them later...

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
The torts may do fine while small, although they will most likely physically battle when older. Trust the other members about this, they will eventually need separate areas.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Below my signature are threads for raising sulcatas there you will find proper temps and humidity. Good luck with your little angel...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Please listen to the advice given to keep the blind baby solo. You may actually think he"s doing fine with the others, but in reality, the challenges he faces like learning where his food, hide, cooler temps are can be stressful for your little one especially if there are others with him. He needs one-on-one care in a stress-free environment.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
Tortoises do not needs 'friends', they are not social animals. Putting the new babies together is probably okay for now but I would not put them in with the blind one. You might think everything is fine, but my question is why take the risk? It is not helping the blind one whatsoever, and could very possibly hurt him in some way. The stress is not good for him, he really needs to be alone.

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
Okay how many of you have a raised a completely blind tortoise? If you haven't raised one then keep your comments to yourself. I have had all 4 of them together for 3 months and they are all doing fine. The blind one knows where the food, water and the cool/hot sides of the pen are. So if you guys want to keep critciizing me on how I keep my tortoises I will just quit posting here.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
t9dragon said:
Okay how many of you have a raised a completely blind tortoise? If you haven't raised one then keep your comments to yourself. I have had all 4 of them together for 3 months and they are all doing fine. The blind one knows where the food, water and the cool/hot sides of the pen are. So if you guys want to keep critciizing me on how I keep my tortoises I will just quit posting here.

I don't think anyone was trying to be rude. You asked for advice and most people don't suggest keeping Sulcata's together as companions, especially when one has such an extreme natural disadvantage.

That said, there are a number of different ways to raise Sulcatas and a variety of opinions on the subject. If things are working for you so far, just be sure to monitor the situation and be prepared to separate the animals should an issue arise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi T9:

Calm down. Easy does it! Look again at what you wrote in your subject line for this thread, "Need some information on how to help a blind sulcata"

That's all we're trying to do...give you help. Seems to me that if we don't think healthy, seeing sulcatas can live together, then one with a handicap should also fit into that category.

I'm glad things are working out for you in your present set-up. Hopefully the little guy will grow and live a long life. I'm interested in seeing him in a couple years. Never actually seen an adult blind tortoise...lots of blind box turtles, but never a large tortoise.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
A lot of people have the misconception that pets need "friends" , they don't. Most animals that live together aren't "friends", they simply coexist while competing for food and attention.

I'm not telling you this to upset you, but its a very real possibility that bullying and fighting can happen - especially with your blind tort. As a responsible owner, you would have to create separate enclosures.

Your defensiveness concerns me, I'm guessing you're young. Don't think that you know better, or that its not going to happen to you. There are people on the forum that can tell you about their experience having to find a new home for sulcatas because of fighting... Or you can always find out the hard way.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
maggie3fan said:
I have raised several blind animals and after they get used to the routine and where stuff is they can do fine.

t9dragon said:
Okay how many of you have a raised a completely blind tortoise?

Since Maggie3fan has raised blind animals in the past and you were asking for advise on "how to" maybe you would be more willing to hear advice from her?

maggie3fan said:
Your baby would do better off alone. If he were mine I wouldn't put anyone with him. You say he's eating now, so my advice to you would be to leave the status quo, leave him living and eating alone. He will do much better...

I'd lean towards keeping the blind baby alone per Maggie3fan's suggestion.

but if you continue to keep them together, if or when a problem arises and you need help or advice please dont hesitate to come back here and ask.

comments to questions are usually just meant to help.

M

Maggie Cummings

We all know that tortoises can hide how they feel for a long time before it's obvious to us and for some that *could* be too late. I believe your tortoise would do much better alone. He could thrive without having any competition for the food or the best sleeping stops.
Tortoises are normally solitary animalsnot social...my advice stays the same..your blind baby does not need any company and stands a better chance for a long decent life if he lives alone...

Status
Not open for further replies.