Need some help finding it's gender

JoeriR

Location (City and/or State)
Belgium
Hey all,

i'm new here and to owning a tortoise. I'm Loving my little fella. But i'm still uncertain which gender it is. As i'm planning to het him a buddy (could use some advice on this aswell, do they really prefere a friends or mate?)

IMG_20200607_201257.jpg
Screenshot_20200607-203418.jpg
Thanks in Advanced!
Greeting,
Joeri

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
And welcome to the forum. Do you have any pictures of your new leopard? From topside so to speak? I’d love to see what it looks like.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like a male tail, but you won't know for sure for three or four more years.

Go to our Frequently Asked Questions section and look for the thread telling why it's not good to get your tortoise a friend.

JoeriR

Belgium
I see some pyramiding....do you soak him frequently?
Ik place him 1 time a day in his drinking bin. Then when he gets out. Ik refresh it. Is there a prefered method ? Like a diffrend container with 2 CM water for XX time?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A closed chamber asap with humidity of 80% and temps never lower then 80 with a basking of 95-100 and not using a mercury vapor bulb will stop the pyramiding.
Do not get a buddy unless you have room to house both in their separate enclosures. Tortoises need to live alone unless you have acres or very large yard to house them ahs then it still might not work.

Last edited:

JoeriR

Belgium
A closed chamber asap with humidity of 80% and temps never lower then 80 with a backing of 95-100 and not using a mercury vapor bulb will stop the pyramiding.
Do not get a buddy unless you have room to house both in their separate enclosures. Tortoises need to live alone unless you have acres or very large yard to house them ahs then it still might not work.
This is his closed enclosure.
Ive bought a humidifier sprayer, should i buy/make a separate chamber inside this one with higher humidity or buy a separate encloser where he bades 10min a day?
Money is no issue for my little fella, so whatever you suggest i wil het him.

IMG_20200607_183430.jpg
IMG_20200607_183401.jpg
IMG_20200607_183417.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_183413.jpg
    IMG_20200607_183413.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4

JoeriR

Belgium

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
in order to have a closed chamber you must seal the top off otherwise the humidity is just going right through the screen top. plexiglass works great for this.

Take a look at the care sheet. It will get you on the right track.

JoeriR

Belgium
in order to have a closed chamber you must seal the top off otherwise the humidity is just going right through the screen top. plexiglass works great for this.

Take a look at the care sheet. It will get you on the right track.

World something like this help to keep it up 80%? For the first 2 years

Screenshot_20200608-135243.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You don't need a humidifier. What you need to do is hang the lights/heat under the top and make the top solid. Screen blocks uvb and let's heat and humidity escape. Make like a tent top or you can cut the screen so just the bulb sits over the hole. Cover the whole top with tin foil except where the lights ahd heat shines thru, cut that area. You want to keep in as much heat and humidity as possible. Then make the substrate damp and keep it damp. Be sure the temps never drops below 80 and humidity should also be 80%.

JoeriR

Belgium
You don't need a humidifier. What you need to do is hang the lights/heat under the top and make the top solid. Screen blocks uvb and let's heat and humidity escape. Make like a tent top or you can cut the screen so just the bulb sits over the hole. Cover the whole top with tin foil except where the lights ahd heat shines thru, cut that area. You want to keep in as much heat and humidity as possible. Then make the substrate damp and keep it damp. Be sure the temps never drops below 80 and humidity should also be 80%.
Alright going to get a plexiglas plate where light bulb Fits in. What do you if it gets to hot in there? Or does lamps like these only warm everything up to certain Point.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hold on. Before you do anything, and before we all get you confused telling you a bunch of different things to do, take a minute to read the care sheet linked in post #11 for you. All of the heating, lighting and housing is explained in detail there. Then, come back and let's talk about what would be best to do in your enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Alright going to get a plexiglas plate where light bulb Fits in. What do you if it gets to hot in there? Or does lamps like these only warm everything up to certain Point.
Most everyone puts the heat on a reptile thermostat/rheostat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hold on. Before you do anything, and before we all get you confused telling you a bunch of different things to do, take a minute to read the care sheet linked in post #11 for you. All of the heating, lighting and housing is explained in detail there. Then, come back and let's talk about what would be best to do in your enclosure.
Just trying to get the enclosure top closed off and humidity up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also the puck like thermometer your using is very inaccurate. Best to get a digital one you can find at hardware stores or places like Home Depot. Also a point and shoot temperature gun is a great item to have for checking temps all over the enclosure.

tortoiseforum1

Los Angeles area
hi! i got a leopard tortoise about a month or 2 ago, and he had and has kind of a lot of pyramiding. is there any way to fix it or is it okay how it is?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
hi! i got a leopard tortoise about a month or 2 ago, and he had and has kind of a lot of pyramiding. is there any way to fix it or is it okay how it is?
I don't think you can reverse this however you can stop it from continuing I'm assuming if they get fat/wide enough it could take away from some of the pyramiding