need some advice for growing indoors

Covey88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I live in Ohio so our growing season is not as long as one would want. So I would like to start growing some food in my indoor enclosure. Here is the link to my enclosure
I have plenty of space above his height and the enclosure never goes below 70% humidity and 70degree temps I do not have much of a green thumb so looking to get some pointers on good food sources to start growing and just basic advice on how to start. Also do you think grow lights would cause any issues for him as far as health goes?

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
Spider plants.

Basically indestructible as long as they don't freeze or get eaten and they don't mind lower light conditions. If you put them in hanging baskets or overhead shelves your tort can nibble on the babies and not get access to the main plant.

I don't think grow lights are a problem for a tort per se, but they do make things pinkish and might make the tort bite things it shouldn't thinking it's food.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Get some long bar led plant lights and attach window planters with l brackets to the back wall just above tortoise height. This way the majority will be above the tort and can't be destroyed.
1610968097363.png1610968179084.png
back wall of enclosure as you look in​

Plant lights​
Plants in planters​
top of substrate​

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Spider plants.

Basically indestructible as long as they don't freeze or get eaten and they don't mind lower light conditions. If you put them in hanging baskets or overhead shelves your tort can nibble on the babies and not get access to the main plant.

I don't think grow lights are a problem for a tort per se, but they do make things pinkish and might make the tort bite things it shouldn't thinking it's food.
You are recommending spider plants and pothos as food in his regular diet? I'm confused I think

gurgleblaster

Charlotte
This mini green house is made with 4 2x4" and 2 ply wood shelves wrapped in a plastic liner. The heating element below heats up a metal bowl with water and rocks to produce humidity. I have two hydroponic systems in there one a fancy one my wife got and one I made myself. They are pretty easy to make I got a garden pot put a wire mesh on the top of it then a coconut coir blanket and pearlite and an old reused aquarium pump to circulate water. Just emptied it last week and only have some scragglies I am trying to rescue and new seedlings.

It's cheap and is good for people with no green thumbs it automatically takes care of itself just refill water and nutrients every two weeksPXL_20210118_231725095.jpgPXL_20210118_231711643.jpgPXL_20210118_231708079.jpgPXL_20210118_231654624.jpgPXL_20210118_231636590.jpg

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
You are recommending spider plants and pothos as food in his regular diet? I'm confused I think
If you're looking at plants to grow in the enclosure spider plants are good choice. They are tough and easy to care for, they can be used in the habitat, if my RF is any indication RF's like them, and there is no reason they can't be used as part of a proper diet. For somebody just starting out, it's a good plant to dabble with and get a feel for growing. Then look at expanding to more advanced things.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
There's a chili eating episode on the Netflix series "we are the champions" where they have to eat something like 15 kinds of super hot peppers, round by round until it's the last person standing. The Carolina Reaper was somewhere in the low numbers; there were several special hybrids after that which were hotter. I can't imagine eating even one.

It's a great episode.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
There's a chili eating episode on the Netflix series "we are the champions" where they have to eat something like 15 kinds of super hot peppers, round by round until it's the last person standing. The Carolina Reaper was somewhere in the low numbers; there were several special hybrids after that which were hotter. I can't imagine eating even one.

It's a great episode.
I am a White old lady with a lousy digestive system. I grew up in California with Mexicans, I love Mexican food, I have gone so far as stick my tongue on a cut pepper...no thanks a lot!!!