Need red foot advice

Bj baiani

i have a red foot "lulu" I purchased her from a pet store a year ago. I believe she was about 4 months old when I brought her home. Looking for advise on habitat as I read so many different things online. She eats quite a bit. Mixed greens twice a day and vegetable 3. Times a week. I try to keep the humidity up around 70 to 80 percent and her warm hide sits around 96 degrees. Please look at photos and offer suggestions. Thanks in advance!!!!
image.jpg image.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ,USA . Cute little tort . I'm sorry I do a lot of torts but no Redfoots . But some one will come that does . Have a great tort day!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hello :) I would recommend a saucer type water dish for your tortoise as it is much safer and easier for your beautiful redfoot to get access to soak & drink from.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well the only thing I see wrong is your water bowl . I would use something with shorter sides like a potted plant base. Other than that looks good .

abclements

5 Year Member
Yup looks great! Mike's right on the watered, but it's a good looking enclosure!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum! What a nice enclosure.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Welcome to the forum! Your enclosure is beautiful and so is your tortoise's growth. My only suggestion is to start setting up a bigger enclosure. You have everything just right.. now it just needs to be as large as you can sacrifice. Great job!

Bj baiani

Thank everyone! I will definitely change her water area. We are in planning mode for a 2x4 enclosure as we speak. My other question is that lately she is sleeping for very long periods of time on her cool side between the plants. I have to physically take her out and put her on the warm side to get her active. i keep a close eye on the temp and humidity as I live in northern Ontario.. The temps get as low as -30c...

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Pretty tort. If you're building a new one I would make it larger than 2x4. Otherwise you'll be doing it again in another few months.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I know you asked about humidity and my red foot looked as nice as yours in the beginning. I even had Tom's care sheet and tried hard to keep the humidity up. Soaking the substrate only gave my tort wet feet and a brush with a fungus briefly. I found I needed a reptile fogger. My enclosure (for the winter) is glass on 3 sides, a wooden back and wooden top. I drilled a hole in the top and the fogger hose runs through that. I can date the stopping of pyramiding to the starting of the fogger. Oh and we moved to North Carolina from Maine. We run distilled water. Now the substrate isn't soaking wet and he is much happier. Good luck and welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since she likes that side so well, why don't you move the CHE over to that side?