Need opinions. (to buy or not to buy)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
This is maybe going to be a bit long winded, but I really appreciate and value the opinions of all of you. Thank you in advance for taking a minute to read my predicament.
My local pet store only occasionally gets tortoises. They are usually rescues that people give them. Last fall, a woman whose sister passed away, brought in half a dozen or so, that her sister had. One was a 18lb leopard, which I bought. There was also 2 female Russians that I have been keeping an eye on. I had every intention of getting them in the spring. They are kept together in a 4x4 enclosure on the floor with bearded dragons. The best I can do inside for them would be a 7'x33" enclosure with an attached tote for humidity and deep substrate for nesting. Outside I can provide a great enclosure(s).
I mention a nesting area, because when I went to visit them today, one of them was digging with her back legs. I mentioned it and the employee said there has been a couple of eggs. They have not done X-Ray to see if more. There is obviously no nesting area for her. My Leopard had broken eggs when I bought her there. Had to have surgery. Anyway I am very concerned for these two tortoises, but am concerned what I can offer is not good enough. I would have to divide the enclosure, so each would only have 7feet by just over 1 foot of space, plus the hide area, until spring anyway. They would also have to be in the same room with my Leopards. The room never goes below 77F. I know Russians are ok much cooler at night, so would this be harmful?
I did report this to our local animal control today, but have very little confidence anything will come of it.
So should I leave it be, or would getting them out of there be helpful?
Again thanks for any advice and opinions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My opionion, go get them. At least you know that come summer they will have a much better enclosure then they have now. Your indoor enclosure may be a little tight for now, but they will be better cared for and will have an outdoor enclosure in their future. Left in the store, who knows what kind of future they will have.

Last edited:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
My opionion, go get them. At least you know that come summer they will have a much better enclosure then they have now. Your indoor enclosure may be a little tight for now, but they will be better cared for and will have an outdoor enclosure in their future. Let in the store, who knows what kind of future they will have.
^^^^agree^^^^

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yep, where they are at is worse than when you will have as a temp spot so I vote go save them too.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thanks for the encouragement. Will get set up for them asap. Nobody said the warm temps at night would be a problem, so I assume it isn't. Sure hope egg bound isn't going to be a huge problem again.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My opionion, go get them. At least you know that come summer they will have a much better enclosure then they have now. Your indoor enclosure may be a little tight for now, but they will be better cared for and will have an outdoor enclosure in their future. Left in the store, who knows what kind of future they will have.
Agree also :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Definitely go get them it will be an upgrade to where they are now. what other tortoises do they have? I remember your post a while back mentioning these tortoises.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Definitely go get them it will be an upgrade to where they are now. what other tortoises do they have? I remember your post a while back mentioning these tortoises.
They have a couple of Sulcatas and a Greek still from the lady who passed away. I did try to find them homes. I really don't have room inside, so didn't want to add them until could keep them outside. Pretty sure at least the one, is in trouble though. I absolutely can't take on Sulcatas lol. Working out the details with my husband on the Russians. Can't say he is very happy with this. :(

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am toying with the idea of getting another toward us. Since what ever I get is going to need separate enclosure anyway I thought maybe I would try another species. I have a Russian and a box turtle, a Greek could definitely work. Did he look healthy? I just can't have a Sulcata.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Is the small indoor enclosure only for this year, or will they be housed in the 7x1 foot enclosure every winter? I think you should only buy them if you can provide enough space, especially in the long run. Russians need quite a lot of space.

In general: there are so many animals in need of rescue, we can't rescue them all (sadly!!). I believe people should only buy an animal of they have enough space, time, knowledge and money to care for them. It's OK to comprimise for a short period of time, but not for longer periods.

Maybe you can take some pictures of the tortoises and help the store owner to try to find a good home via the TFO?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Is the small indoor enclosure only for this year, or will they be housed in the 7x1 foot enclosure every winter? I think you should only buy them if you can provide enough space, especially in the long run. Russians need quite a lot of space.

In general: there are so many animals in need of rescue, we can't rescue them all (sadly!!). I believe people should only buy an animal of they have enough space, time, knowledge and money to care for them. It's OK to comprimise for a short period of time, but not for longer periods.

Maybe you can take some pictures of the tortoises and help the store owner to try to find a good home via the TFO?
Tried that. No one interested and it will only be this winter. Next summer we are remodeling. Once I am comfortable with Russians I will hibernate them.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Russian tortoises hibernate, so living outside during the summer then bringing them in to hibernate and you wouldn't have to worry about an indoor enclosure for them after this winter.
Exactly. We will have a space available though in case someone is sick.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am toying with the idea of getting another toward us. Since what ever I get is going to need separate enclosure anyway I thought maybe I would try another species. I have a Russian and a box turtle, a Greek could definitely work. Did he look healthy? I just can't have a Sulcata.
I will take some pics when I am there next. My plan is to go buy the Russians Monday after work. I don't know anything about Greeks. I will post on this thread for you.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA

My husband thanks you for trying to be the voice on his side though. I am afraid it's too late.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I know you didn't get much response when you first posted about these animals. Like I said I am just toying with the idea of getting another one. if I was comfortable and wanted to hibernate my tortoise and Boxturtle then indoor space would never be an issue. I just can't quite bring myself to do it. my outdoor space is great, but I will enlarge it again if I get another tortoise. it is difficult when they all need separate enclosures but oh well :)

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
My husband thanks you for trying to be the voice on his side though. I am afraid it's too late.

Hehe, my husband knows how it feels, I've got 3 cats, 3 chickens and a redfoot tortoise
Good luck with the Russians tomorrow!