Need opinions on this RF Tortoise please. This is a tortoise I am considering buying-

Macca33

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Hello everyone!! I'm from MN and new to the forum, but can already see that it has a wealth of knowledge provided by experienced members. As I search the forum for valuable info, I'm also hoping to get some opinions on a tortoise that I am considering buying.

I recently met a RF tortoise at a local reptile shop, and (hopefully you fellow tort lovers will understand this) made an unexpected connection with it. Of the two RF's in the cage, both were hiding out of sight when I crouched to look in. One of them clearly started smelling me and came out to engage with me. Long story short, this guy really responded to me and feel that it could really use a good, loving home and family to enjoy life with. I also suspect that it is not being kept in the ideal environment, which looks more suited to a desert tort (very low humidity for this tropical forest tortoise) and would like to help it out.

I've never owned a tort, but have researched reptiles/turtles/tortoises most of my life and understand that good husbandry involves more than just reading books (I am dedicated to my animal family members and strive to provide the best care possible and even have a vet in mind that specializes in reptiles and tortoises). I plan on providing it with a 4'X8' tort table to begin with, using coco coir/play sand/sphagnum moss as substrate with hiding places and line-of-sight breaks. I will balance humidity/temp/light/UVB to match its native environment as closely as possible. I have room to expand this table/housing indoors and plan on also creating a tortoise garden in my back yard for the warm summer months.

The RF tort I speak of is around 5-6" and appears to be in good health. He has a crack in his shell- about the diameter of a pencil eraser but he has shown me how well he eats, walks, climbs, and takes water breaks. He also has what appears to be an old crack among the front scutes of his carapace just being his neck/head. He may well have had some trauma, but he seems tough. His shell looks to me to have some signs of pyramiding, but I am by no means an expert and would really appreciate any opinions you can offer about his condition based on his appearance. --I keep saying "he" because I saw its tail which appeared longer and rear scutes which look less "U-shaped" than of females I've seen. I know it is likely too young to accurately sex.

Sorry for the extremely long first post, but I've attached some pics for you to look at. Not sure if I can post a video, but I have one of him responding to my request to take a "dip" - he looks up and goes into his water (gosh I hope I don't seem like a crazy Doolittle wannabe, lol).

Thank you all in advance for any insight and observations you can provide me regarding this tort!!

RF Tort4.jpgRF Tort3.jpgRF Tort2.jpgRF Tort1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Macca33

MN
OH! also, the shop owner quoted me "Around $250" for this Tort. What I've seen, he should be around $130 at most? Advice on pricing would also be appreciated. Thank you so much!!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I love my redfoot, Darwin, and am glad that he lives with me.

The price does seem a bit high, but the original keeper may be factoring years of care into their price... you'll have to decide if it's worth it talking them down, accepting the pricepoint they've set, or simply walking away. In the long run, the price you pay for the tortoise is a tiny part of the total amount of money you spend over the course of their life, so I wouldn't hang up on the price too much.

It sounds as though the tort is a personable little guy, that you have the ability to care for him well, and that you're interested... seems like a nice match to me.

Good luck, whichever way you go... TFO is a great place to learn and ask questions about your new tortoise.

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He looks pretty good but $250 for a juvenile Redfoot is quite pricey.

Macca33

MN
Hi! Thanks for the responses!
I realize the price point upon purchase is relatively little considering the life of the RF, but I just don't feel right paying that much for him- though I likely will if I have to because I'm already pretty much committed to him, lol. I'll see if I can talk the shop owner down a bit.

Can anyone tell how old he is? I'm also wondering if someone can comment about his shell- is that early signs of pyramiding or is that normal? - I mean he looks pretty healthy to me other than the crack in his shell which doesn't seem to be giving him too much trouble. Will the crack need to be repaired? (the crack I'm referring to is above his left front arm between the scutes...)

Thanks everyone :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That crack is old and healed and isn't going to change in appearance. It's not a problem. The shell looks great, nice and smooth. I would GUESS he's a juvenile, about four or five years old.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He's a sub adult.
Any damage, healed or not should DECREASE the price. A lot.
$150 seems about right.
Only buy one. Not a "pair".
And I suggest buying one from a breeder, like that pet store did. And not trusting much of the information that the store gives you.
Or buying any of the multitude of useless and harmful TORTOISE LIGHTS that the same shop will try to unload on you, either.

Macca33

MN
I'm glad to hear that everyone thinks he looks healthy. I agree that $150 seems about right. Hopefully I can get him for that price.
To be clear about the "crack," there is an old one just behind his neck area (which I think looks kinda cool). The one I'm mostly referring to/concerned about is the puncture on the left side of his shell (our right). In the pic, it's kinda straight back from his left eye (our right side of the pic). This puncture looks new... maybe I have a better pic of it I'll post one if i find it.

Macca33

MN
These pics might provide a better angle for showing the puncture:

Attachments

• tort6.jpg
    tort6.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 41
  • tort5.jpg
    tort5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • tort side.jpg
    tort side.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 38

Macca33

MN
The crack and the hole are 99% likely to be from a dog.
It's very common and very preventable.
He was probably taken in after a dog attack.
This is just my theory...but I'll bet I'm correct.
;)
Well, I'm relieved you don't seem worried about it. The tortoise certainly seems to be acting normal, and is likely not bothered by the puncture.

Fingers crossed I end up with him- I've started his table already!
???

Thanks again for the responses/input!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I paid $230 for mine at a convention from a breeder, but now I feel like I over paid. Oh well I'm pretty happy with her regardless

View attachment 285494
No. It's very colorful and prices do vary.
I can't tell if that's a Cherryhead or not. It could be a mix.
Can you photograph his underside?

tpence1991

Coppell, TX
20200127_215915.jpg

The breeder said she is a cherryhead, but I've always been a bit skeptical. Her head isn't the dark vibrant red I'm used to seeing on others on the internet

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
View attachment 285497

The breeder said she is a cherryhead, but I've always been a bit skeptical. Her head isn't the dark vibrant red I'm used to seeing on others on the internet
That's 100% not a Cherryhead. The plastron is pale and I see no arm spurs. (And can't see the nose scales)
However, the hobby is flooded with hybrids and you may have one there.
At any rate. It is spectacularly colored and very nice.

Macca33

MN
He's a sub adult.
Any damage, healed or not should DECREASE the price. A lot.
$150 seems about right.
Only buy one. Not a "pair".
And I suggest buying one from a breeder, like that pet store did. And not trusting much of the information that the store gives you.
Or buying any of the multitude of useless and harmful TORTOISE LIGHTS that the same shop will try to unload on you, either.
Speaking of Tortoise lights, can you comment on the lights/heat I will need? I'm building a 4x8 tort table with 20" sides and plan on installing lids. What kind of light will I need? - Will two 100w CHEs be enough? also some say RFs need UVB/UVA light and other say no... - yes/no? if so, how large of a light fixture will I need? THANKS!! @ZEROPILOT

tpence1991

Coppell, TX
Speaking of Tortoise lights, can you comment on the lights/heat I will need? I'm building a 4x8 tort table with 20" sides and plan on installing lids. What kind of light will I need? - Will two 100w CHEs be enough? also some say RFs need UVB/UVA light and other say no... - yes/no? if so, how large of a light fixture will I need? THANKS!! @ZEROPILOT

I personally don't think the 2 CHEs would be enough. But it depends on the overall temp of the room and how close you hang the CHEs.

I would get UVB/UVA light anyway. I use a mercury vapor bulb, although it puts out quite a bit of heat and is a bit too bright. I installed some faux plants to break up the lighting .

A lot of people recommend those long tubular UVA/UVB lights

KronksMom

Illinois
That's 100% not a Cherryhead. The plastron is pale and I see no arm spurs. (And can't see the nose scales)
However, the hobby is flooded with hybrids and you may have one there.
At any rate. It is spectacularly colored and very nice.
I've always wondered what the difference was between a cherry head and a regular red foot. Thanks for that, Zero!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
How many CHE would depend on where the enclosure is. What temperature the area is.
Redfoot need to be kept around 84 degrees. Not above 90 and not below 75.
Personally and from my experience, 82 to 84 makes them the most comfortable.
You very well aren't going to know how many CHE, etc. you'll need until the enclosure is built. Will it be a closed chamber? Those hold in humidity and warmth the best.
They also really dislike bright lights. I would personally not recommend any Mercury VAPOR bulbs. They project either too little or too much UV into one small spot, are too bright and too hot. (I recently posted about them using a solarmeter) They also make holding a constant humidity nearly impossible.
Instead, buy a T5 HO 5.0 tube UV fixture. Maybe 24".
That will provide all of your UV and enough light.
IF your Redfoot is provided with a few hours of outdoors sunlight per week, it's TRUE that you can do without a supplemental UV source. Or even use a lower output T8 UV tube fixture.
I hope you can see how your questions don't have one size fits all answers.
They vary by the keepers circumstances.
You'll have to tweak things a bit until they work for you.

Last edited: