NEED OPINIONS-NO SUN

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Warning, this may sound dangerous:( However I will do everything needed to make sure what you are probably thinking WON'T happen :p. I can't find much sun in my yard during winter months. My idea-I get lots of sun in the front of my house, but I have no front yard. I live on the third floor of my three flat. I was thinking about building a mini green house onto a platform. The platform will have sides on it. I would stick the greenhouse end of the platform out my window in the sun. The other end of the platform will be inside my house. He could get some warm sun rays and nibble on plants etc, that I would grow in the green house and be able to come inside the house to get cooled off and into shade. I would have the green house fit the width of the window, so cold air could not come in. I would also make sure the whole thing could not fall out the window, even if the window were to be opened all the way. Any thoughts, pros or cons, ideas, suggestions wanted. Oh ya, this would be for while he is still small enough for it to work. I will have to come up with another plan when he gets to big. I would really like him to get some natural sunlight, even though he has a MVB. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it sounds great, Barb. Go for it!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sounds like you have everything worked out already, sounds like a good plan...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I remember far back in my memory banks, seeing somebody do something like this for their iguana. Remember to use the glass that will allow the right rays in, if the main purpose is the sun value. Would be much like having a large air conditioner sized object on the outside and inside. Remember to take pictures along the way and keep track of costs and guess on the weight when done, so others might try it too.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Sounds like quite the project, but I truly believe there is no adequate replacement for natural sunlight so it would be well worth the effort if it enables your little one some sun : ) Goodluck I am anxious to see how it goes!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks everyone. I had such a good plan for a outdoor winter house, just for the day time, but as I tried figuring out the best place for it, it hit me he would have MAYBE 5 minutes of sun, so this idea popped up instead. I will post pics along the way. Looking for a mini house now to start off with.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
wellington said:
Warning, this may sound dangerous:( However I will do everything needed to make sure what you are probably thinking WON'T happen :p. I can't find much sun in my yard during winter months. My idea-I get lots of sun in the front of my house, but I have no front yard. I live on the third floor of my three flat. I was thinking about building a mini green house onto a platform. The platform will have sides on it. I would stick the greenhouse end of the platform out my window in the sun. The other end of the platform will be inside my house. He could get some warm sun rays and nibble on plants etc, that I would grow in the green house and be able to come inside the house to get cooled off and into shade. I would have the green house fit the width of the window, so cold air could not come in. I would also make sure the whole thing could not fall out the window, even if the window were to be opened all the way. Any thoughts, pros or cons, ideas, suggestions wanted. Oh ya, this would be for while he is still small enough for it to work. I will have to come up with another plan when he gets to big. I would really like him to get some natural sunlight, even though he has a MVB. :D

Check out my poll thread, no sun which one vote. It shows two ideas I am considering.

Terry Allan Hall said:
Use special "greenhouse" glass...it allows all (or most) of the UV rays to pass through it

As long as the tort can get to a cool spot when it gets too hot, your plan sounds like a real winner, one that other apartment dwellers might be able to utilize, as well.

This might be of some use:
http://www.hobby-greenhouse.com/coverings.htm

I have a poll thread started with two ideas on it. Check it out please, its title is No Sun-which one-vote. Would I have to be concerned about uv not penetrating if I start out with a structure that is already a green house/cold frame?
Also thank you for the site to check out.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
wellington said:
wellington said:

Check out my poll thread, no sun which one vote. It shows two ideas I am considering.

Terry Allan Hall said:
Use special "greenhouse" glass...it allows all (or most) of the UV rays to pass through it

As long as the tort can get to a cool spot when it gets too hot, your plan sounds like a real winner, one that other apartment dwellers might be able to utilize, as well.

This might be of some use:
http://www.hobby-greenhouse.com/coverings.htm

I have a poll thread started with two ideas on it. Check it out please, its title is No Sun-which one-vote. Would I have to be concerned about uv not penetrating if I start out with a structure that is already a green house/cold frame?
Also thank you for the site to check out.

Saw the poll, like the design...and, as long as the glass is
"greenhouse" glass, it should be fine, but another idea: Make it so that you can easily swap out the glass frame for a 1/2" hardware cloth (screen) panel, for warmer days. :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.