Need ideas for year round enclosure!

gabby.santana

Location (City and/or State)
California
For some odd reason, I can't see any photos of past posts. It says I need to update my phone app but I have already done so.

I have a 2 year old desert tortoise and a box turtle. During the summer, they are outside night and day. I live in the central valley and it's perfect weather for them.

I currently house both of them inside my home but space is getting limited and my DT is getting bigger and I'm going to need them to be outside the whole year. I do not hibernate my DT or box turtle.

I would appreciate anyones ideas or reference photos that I could use to build their new outdoor enclosure. Coldest winter temps at night get to 27 F.

For heating wise, what is the best source of outdoor heat to use for my box turtle and DT without them overheating or getting too cold.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't put my baby desert tortoises outside full time until they're about 4 or 5 years of age. It's too hard to keep an outdoor enclosure warm enough in the winter.

gabby.santana

California
I don't put my baby desert tortoises outside full time until they're about 4 or 5 years of age. It's too hard to keep an outdoor enclosure warm enough in the winter.
Okay for just during the day what's the best way? I was thinking of making a wooden house with insulation but I'm not sure about the heat source.

Should I use the same type of heat source for my DT and box turtle ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
An insulated and heated shed. Insulate the floor, walls and ceiling. Heat with a portable oil filled radiator style heater on a thermostat. Also hang each a uvb light for the basking spot. This can be used for summer and winter

gabby.santana

California
An insulated and heated shed. Insulate the floor, walls and ceiling. Heat with a portable oil filled radiator style heater on a thermostat. Also hang each a uvb light for the basking spot. This can be used for summer and winter
Does the heater stay in there the whole day and night?