Need home for two redfoots

Rachel Wilham

Location (City and/or State)
Central Illinois
I have two redfoot tortoises who need to be rehomed. One is 10 years old and the other is younger, about 2 or 3 years old. Unfortunately, I am unable to give them the space and other care that they need to be healthy and happy and I have decided to let them be with someone who will be able to. I live in Springfield, IL. Please reply or send me a message if anyone is able to help!!

Tammy S.

I have two redfoot tortoises who need to be rehomed. One is 10 years old and the other is younger, about 2 or 3 years old. Unfortunately, I am unable to give them the space and other care that they need to be healthy and happy and I have decided to let them be with someone who will be able to. I live in Springfield, IL. Please reply or send me a message if anyone is able to help!!

Cannfoxxh

NJ

I I would love them if u can ship to N.J I will pay expenses for next day guatenteef 732 895 3773

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yes I did post a intro I'm kinda new at this but a couple people welcome me
Here's just a suggestion to you, learn the in and outs of the one you have before taking on more. It can get overwhelming and there is something new to learn all the time. You would have to keep them separate for 6 months to a year before mixing them anyway. Welcome to the forum btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cannfoxxh

NJ
I have one tortoise house and one tortoise table a big one so I think I can handle it . But anyone that ? I would need to keep them separate?

Cannfoxxh

NJ
I'm sorry why is that I would need to keep them seperate for 6 months?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Its usually considered good practice to keep new animals separate from your existing collection. This is to help prevent the transfer of disease and parasites either from your new tortoise to your existing tortoise or maybe your tortoise could give something to the new tortoise.
This can be really important if your unaware of the place the animal was coming from. For example you may have a leopard tortoise and want another one, so you see online someone has one for sale. So you buy it and put it in with your leopard. The problem is the person who owned it before was keeping it with a Russian tortoise. The russian tortoise gave the leopard tortoise a disease for which leopards have no immunity then it passed the disease to your leopard tortoise unknowingly when you put them together right away.
This is just one of many examples when quarantine can be a good idea.

Cannfoxxh

NJ
Wow that makes a lot of sense I never thought of that and I have seen that in any of my readings about red foots. Thanks

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio

The reason cmac3 is suggesting to keep them separate is for quarantine. You don't want one to have an underlying disease and introduce it to the other. They both should be vet checked and given the ok before putting them together. Plus, bullying can occur when introduced. Lastly, if your new to owning a tortoise, it takes a lot of work and knowledge to maintain a homeostasis environment for them to thrive. It was just a suggestion, but it might be better to gain some knowledge and experience with 1 before tackling a group. "Learn to walk before you run" approach. Ultimately, its your decision, just some friendly advice from some experienced keepers.

Cannfoxxh

NJ
Again thank u I have a great get that has already checked out my little one and he is in good health . But like u said I will try one before I add more thank you again