Need Hinge-back advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I was looking at a hinge-back because I have found them interesting thanks to Jacqui. I have no experience with them and I have been reading up a bit, but I want to know from you keepers, how difficult are they to take care of? Thanks for your help!!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
What type of hinge-back? WC or CB? I believe there are 4 or 5 species, 2 of which are forest dwellers and 2 or 3 are savanna dwellers. Check out www.chelonia.org under kinixys genus.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They can be difficult Dee ;) CB will always be easier than WC.
There are 6 species, with belliana having 4 subspecies
Kinixys erosa (forest)
K. homeana (forest)
K. spekii (savanah)
K. lobatsiana (savanah)
K. natalensis (savanah)
K. belliana (both)
K. b. belliana (savanah)
K. b. nogueyi (forest)
K. b. domerguei (savanah)
K. b. zombensis (savanah)

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
The one I was looking at was a forest hinge-back. And, I have no idea if cb or wc. Which makes me believe wc and in which case I would rather not.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorta going to give you a mixed answer here, sorry. They can be hard or easy depending a lot on luck on your expectations...lol.

First off remember these are going to be shy quiet torts, nothing like the outgoing Russians and Redfoots. Given time they do become less reclusive, but most likely your going to deal with a shy animal to start with.

The hard part can be getting them eating. If you can get them going, then the battle is well over. It can be a struggle and a long one.

Sitting here thinking what to say to you and I realize that one thing about my Hinges is I never take the simple things with them for granted. Each bite they eat is a small victory, each new food I can convince them to finally eat is a major hurdle cleared. Weight gains are celebrations. True they aren't as meaningful to me as a year ago, but even to this day, each day I see all three of my Homes are alive is a relieved breath.

My three came to me very stressed and very very underweight. The small male I think of as a feather, because that is what he felt like in my hand.

Start with a healthy, heavy one and you should do okay, if you give them what they need for habitat/diet. Don't expect easy and you might get lucky and find easy.:D

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Well Jacqui, I have decided that I cannot have any additional stress of trying to get someone to eat. Although I relish small victories, I don't relish the thought of more of that type of stress! I am getting some boxies and I think that's where I will stay! Thanks!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LOL I have one or two boxies in my time that wee a bit stubborn too. :D Like I said, it could and does go both ways. Some flourish with totally wrong care while others struggle to survive in optimal situations, but then that's true in all torts and turtles it seems.

I always think of my life with these shelled creatures as two separate stages of my life and in overall general tortoise knowledge, but years ago in my first round of major tortoise keeping I had this huge female. In those years knowledge was scarce and no computer to connect to others with similar interests. This animal was kept on newspaper substrate with a small soaking bowl. Nowhere near the humidity they need. Diet was not of the variety she should have had. You get the general idea here. Yet this animal thrived, grew, was never shy (well except when worming time was around :D). Just one of the easiest animals I ever had the pleasure of caring for. Just goes to show you how inconsistent they can be...and the importance of starting with a healthy, alert animal.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I just figured that I live in prime eastern box territory. I am hoping that having their native surroundings will give me the extra boost so that they are healthy. Plus, I can hibernate them here with no worries!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Not to mention how awesome colored and marked so many of them are! I agree so much nicer having what is naturally in your own area (if you legally can). Makes providing their needs so much simpler.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I can legally have them in NJ as long as I receive them from out of state and have proof of that. I am receiving mine, hopefully soon, from a rescue. Then I just send that in with my permit and $$.

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
My forest hinge-back eats very little and when I got her she was very shy (sitting rock) she is just starting to move around a bit

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
When I got my forest hinge-back her eyes where shut I used Repti Turtle Eye Drops for a week and it cleared that up. Now her eyes are bright and open.

Status
Not open for further replies.