Need help with whether Sulculta can happily live in Pacific Northwest

Danielle4440

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Hi All,

Need some help and honesty here. I live in Sarasota Fl. Just found out my husband's work may need him to transfer to the Seattle Wa area. We have a roughly twelve-year-old, 75-pound Sulculta who is my baby. Can a Sulculta live in Wa and be happy and healthy? Does anyone currently have a big guy living in the Pacific Northwest and if so, how do you deal with climate? What does it require? We are willing to build what ever is needed but can he get enough sunshine and outdoor time that he would be healthy and happy?

Now it drops only down in the forties and once in a great while thirties a couple of weeks a year. He has a heated room with sunlights and a pig blanket that he sleeps in and stays in when it is chilly. He still goes out even on the cold days for a little bit but heads back inside pretty quickly.

Obviously, I want to keep him! He is my love but selfishness aside his health and happiness must come first. Please help with any suggestions and thoughts.

Thank you,
Danielle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It can be done.

The question is: How are you going to feel about having your tortoise cooped up for all those months of cold weather?

Many people do it, and they feel fine about it. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but that is just one man's preference.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
@Jodie @Cowboy Ken
It can definitely be done. It doesn't rain in Seattle nearly as much as people think it does :) The two people above, and many others successfully keep the large sulcatas in the Pacific Northwest.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I have a Daughter who has lived in Kirkland , by Seattle.

The weather there is actually quite mild due to Japanese currents - more Mediterranean. They have flowers blooming in December. Due to high rainfall it is green just about year round. I would have no problem keeping a largeSulcata there. A well planted yard to roam and a heated shed would do the trick.

Depends really exactly where you would be living. The weather varies greatly the farther away from the ocean you get.