Need help with my baby Greek tortoise

Andrew01

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
Hello so I recently bought a baby Greek tortoise and he has barely moved the past 2 days I have had him, he eats food.he just will walk a few steps and just lay down let’s out arms out and neck out has eyes shut most of the day.
Wondering if he’s sleeping all day is okay thank you.

B1F602A4-53EF-49F5-8217-648C35F8E2FF.jpeg

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Hi Andrew and welcome.

It's not uncommon for a new tort to be pretty shy and sleepy, and eat sparingly for a few days while they get used to their new surroundings.

Having said that, it would be helpful to know your enclosure temperatures (basking area, cool side/warm side, ambient temperature). Pics of the enclosure is helpful.

Sometimes a Greek will be sleepy if his basking area isnt hot enough. When he wakes up he will go to this area to bring his body temp up to operating levels. This helps him get moving and get the digestion system going. Ditto the warm soaks. Aim for around 98 degrees under the basking area.

Keep us posted, he looks like a great little tort.

Give this a read for a ton of useful info:

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
This is the picture of his enclosure.
For the first day I had him I did not have a uvb light and yesterday I did but he barely was up but today so far for the past 15 mins I wanna say he’s been up with his eyes open for some water and is keeping them open.
I don’t know what the temps are to be honest, I can give you the brands and the wattages If that might help or do you think I really should go get a temp gun ?
ive also seen him try digging twice and when I put him to soak he just try’s to get out so I havnt been able to do the full 15 mins. Should I just let him struggle to get out of it or take him out like I’ve been doing? And he wouldn’t just go to the hot side and sleep he would sleep everywhere, for example yesterday he ate then literally turned around and fell asleep or later that day he was walking to his water dish then had a arm on it and fell asleep.

Attachments

• FB31D2D9-919A-4A36-A585-C9894AA5B5D8.jpeg
    FB31D2D9-919A-4A36-A585-C9894AA5B5D8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 28

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
My Greek will sleep all over the enclosure as he sees fit, sometimes stretching out under a plant on the cool side, sometimes crawling into his cool dry cave, other times he will doze under the basking light. So that sounds normal and no real concern.
He also will dig in partially until he looks like a rock. It's fun when people come over and peek in a totally miss him for a rock!

Sure it would be good to know what you are using for lighting and heating, wattage brands and models.

A heat gun is certainly useful, especially for determining the temp of hides, surfaces, and basking spot. For ambient temps I use a movable hygrometer which also tests humidity. But yeah its pretty important to be able to monitor your temps and humidity closely at this stage, as too low humidity can lead to pyramiding in young torts, or even kidney damage. You may not even know the damage is occurring until months or even a year later.

Too low temps can lead to lethargy and sleeping, and can also contribute to respiratory issues etc.

Temps can get a bit lower for Greeks at night, into the 60s, but during the day when you are moistening your enclosure etc you want it up to 80, and for this species the basking area is key, around 98-100 degrees. Mine will make use of it immediately after waking to wake up, and immediately after eating to digest.

It might be helpful for you to post hatchling specific threads for specific questions you might have, as I got my Greek as an adult, and there are members here who breed and raise this species who can answer all better than I.

If you can optimize your conditions, your tort will have the best chance at optimal health. I would read that care guide and check the sticky sections for more info on raising hatchlings specifically.

It looks a bit dry in there. Consider adding some safe live plants to help hold humidity, provide shade and stress reducing hides, and keep your tortoise entertained exploring. If your tank is open topped, you will need to add moisture often...and even then it will be tricky to maintain.

Hygrometers can be purchased from amazon for around 15 bucks.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Oh, and my tort also splashes around in his soaks, and truth be told has never liked them. Im not covinced this species is as big on soaks in general as some of the tropical cousins. Mine will never voluntarily soak.

He will hiss, hide, or spaz out, sometimes all three. He will also go into battering ram mode and attack the walls of his soaking tub, or will frenzy so hard his splashes himself and he splutters and gurgles. This used to stress me out a lot, but it's for the best that he get the soaks, and as long as the water level or temp isnt too high, hes not in danger, just ornery as usual. I use a water quality temp pen to check the water temp.

The good news is I've found a few ways to make the soaking easier. One thing is to soak in the early morning, right after your tort wakes up. Directly after he comes out to bask, plunk him in the warm soak. Mine will often relax now and close his eyes for a few mins. Another member recommended to me to offer treats during the soak, which has helped to keep him distracted for a few more precious minutes.

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
I spray it down a couple of times a day but not a lot of spraying each time, I’m 2 using 2 flunker clamp lamps and the heat emitter I’m using is 65watt and using a 10.0 mvb

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Do you mean spraying with a spritzer bottle? Right on, It's great for dust control, additionally I add water with a cup and mix it up, not soggy, but moist all the way through. A spritzer bottle wont moisten deeply enough or provide long lasting enough humidity imo.

Do you mean 10.0 uvb or a mercury vapour bulb?

Some members have reported clamps failing. Good to reinforce with zip ties or a screw bracket, hose clamp etc.

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
Do you mean spraying with a spritzer bottle? Right on, It's great for dust control, additionally I add water with a cup and mix it up, not soggy, but moist all the way through. A spritzer bottle wont moisten deeply enough or provide long lasting enough humidity imo.

Do you mean 10.0 uvb or a mercury vapour bulb?

Some members have reported clamps failing. Good to reinforce with zip ties or a screw bracket, hose clamp etc.
Okay I will work on getting the humidity higher with that and yes a 10.0 uvb

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Mine sleeps in the identical position all the time They love to sunbathe apparently :)

Attachments

• 20190606_181847.jpg
    20190606_181847.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

peanut20

Pennsylvania
It sleeps throughout the day, a couple hours at a time, but changes position and location. I have definitely noticed that he sleeps more if the temperature drops.

He's usually active after his morning bath and after he eats. I used to feed him right after his bath, but I've been feeding him later in the day so he eats more. I also read in one of the posts here that this may keep tortoises roaming and searching for food. I also feed him in smaller portions 2-3 times a day.

Sa Ga

MN
Okay I will work on getting the humidity higher with that and yes a 10.0 uvb
Definitely get that humidity up and soak him safely (not too high of water, right temp), no matter if he hates it. Over time, he may come to like it--Morla did! Now she sometimes kicks to stay in!

Hydration is surely important and my Russian tort bears the outcome of chronic dehydration--she was diagnosed with CKD (chronic kidney disease) shortly after I got her. This will tragically shorten her life. I don't think the people who had her bf ever soaked her, and they did not feed her correctly either.

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
Definitely get that humidity up and soak him safely (not too high of water, right temp), no matter if he hates it. Over time, he may come to like it--Morla did! Now she sometimes kicks to stay in!

Hydration is surely important and my Russian tort bears the outcome of chronic dehydration--she was diagnosed with CKD (chronic kidney disease) shortly after I got her. This will tragically shorten her life. I don't think the people who had her bf ever soaked her, and they did not feed her correctly either.
Have been giving soaks they go better now and I spray the enclosure more often and have been feeding every other day have been feeding him mustard greens

Sa Ga

MN
You can feed every day and should give a variety of food per meal.