Need help with identifying

Scootertrash

Location (City and/or State)
Montgomery, tx
Can y'all please tell me exactly what sort of tortoise this is? It was found in east Texas(I know, but it's too late now and I'm not telling the little girl she can't have her tortoise) And the little girl also responsible for the artwork(non toxic) from what I understand the texas tortoise has a sort of forked plate under it's head. This tortoise does not. Desert tortoise? There is a neighbor that had a huge tortoise named Tonka that was like 18 years old whom escaped this past may and has not been found. Is it possible to have a hybrid? Any help would be appreciated. This little tortoise has so much personality. IMG_20201018_221704748.jpgIMG_20201018_221650784.jpgIMG_20201018_221749365.jpgIMG_20201018_221614069.jpgIMG_20201018_221558897.jpg

Scootertrash

Montgomery, tx
Thank you. Obviously I don't know much about them. But I'm trying to care for it correctly and correctly identifying it is crucial.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Three toed box turtle - Terrapene carolina triunguis. Try to get the paint off the growth seams and keep it in a VERY moist environment.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
He's gorgeous but he is very dry...the lines outlining his skin-joints on his neck is a good indicator, you want them hard to see b/c they are kinda moist looking (shows good hydration) or dry sometimes but never that dry. Not your fault and he's not going to croak before you get him squared away. There are some really good guides sticky'd above so take your time and read them. Personally I feel compromises sometimes have to be made for enclosure size but if you make it interesting with places to explore and hide, he'll be good. A varied diet of veggies, fruits, worms. You'll likely find he gets a fav food and will fast while holding out.....make him feel some pain but don't let him starve ...if you give in too early, he'll own you!

Just like kids.....LOL

good luck to both of you!

jeff