Need help with Greek tortoise sex id and age

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalTortuga

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Hello Everyone,

Very happy to find a forum to learn and share on.
My fiance and I just purchased a Greek tortoise @ Petsmart in Southern Cali
and are confused with what sex it is and how old it may be. The store had no idea.

I think it is a male but I rather have someone who knows more about these little guys to help me out.

The shell is about 5" long and 4" wide about 3" thick idk if that help to determine the age?

Thanks,

-Rico
DSC00882.JPGDSC00885.JPGDSC00881.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello :). Lovely tort :)

I think you have a female there, but am prepared to be over-ruled. A male's tail is longer and usually bends to the side.

As for age... you will never know. Tortoises grow at different rates depending on diet, whether they are captive bred or wild caught, how they are raised... Any age we give would be a total guess.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
JoesMum said:
Hello :). Lovely tort :)

I think you have a female there, but am prepared to be over-ruled. A male's tail is longer and usually bends to the side.

As for age... you will never know. Tortoises grow at different rates depending on diet, whether they are captive bred or wild caught, how they are raised... Any age we give would be a total guess.

Agreed, looks like a female and while the tortoise is most definitely wild caught, age could vary greatly based on individual's average size in the population that it was collected from, subspecies and other factors. Generally, wild caught tortoises grow slower at a more "correct" rate than do captive borns. Your tortoise could be anywhere from around 7 or 8 to 15-25 years old. There is not realistic way of knowing with a wild caught animal.

dlrowe

5 Year Member
Looks like a lil gal to me:)

Sent from my PG86100 using TortForum mobile app

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yay! More Greek geeks on the TFO. Welcome and congratulations on getting your little girl. This is the best place for tort education. Read-read-read and ask away so your tortoise will be happy, healthy and thrive! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.