Need Help with a New Aldabra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
It being heavy and having healthy eyes and nostrils are good signs. No consumption generally means no defecation. When you soak your animal, have you observed it to actually drink? If so, you can add baby food to the water. Getting something in may get its appetite going again. Like exoticsdr said, they can be somewhat skittish when young. I have one that is very cool with my presence. The other will literally sprint off as fast as he can if he even turns around and sees me just standing near him. He is starting to mellow a little, but it can be a slow process for some individuals. Have you tried letting it walk around on untreated lawn (especially mixed grasses, clover, and weeds)? It may find something it likes. If you do this, be careful no to become distracted such that it slips out of sight for too long. Alternatively, if you have an outdoor area for it to stay and the temperatures are adequate, you could leave it to it and it may feel safer and may graze more readily when you are not present. Just keep an eye on it and do not over-fret or crowd the animal for now. I managed to turn around a very sick Aldabra tortoise once, so yours having a much healthier start gives you a greater advantage than I had.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A lot of tortoises eat their own poop. Could he be doing that? Have you tried feeding him some water melon, squash or pumpkin, those seem to be some of their faves.

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
here is a picture of the little guy.

image-1.jpeg

so i thought i would try some thing a little different today so i took him out side and i took out a few young leopard and sulcatta tortoise i have. my little guys just took off exploring and eating and after a few min my Aldabra came out and started fowling one of the sulcatas and then started exploring. and then finally we had a big pop. so i feel a lot better now.

image.jpeg
image-2.jpeg
image-3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Give it time. In the meanwhile, keep offering a variety of items so it can pick what stimulates it. When I have new animals that are not eating a lot right away, I like to offer the variety all at once in a little row on a cottage cheese container lid. Then I can leave and return later and see what has been sampled from preferentially. I have only had a handful of animals over the years that were reluctant to eat upon arrival.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Although different species shouldn't be housed together, if it will get her eating, I would have tried it too. I hope she keeps it up. I would also always have food available for her, day and night. I do this anyway with my leopard, just incase he wants a midnite snack:D

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
No don't keep them together but I was just some thing to try. She. Seems to be fine I think it was just more me

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Well just an update on my little aldabra. it seems to still be very unhappy. spend all its time in the corner of is encloser. i will pick her up and soak here then put here in the pill of food and she will eat and then go back to the corner and stay that has been about all she has done since i got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.