Need Help with a New Aldabra

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I got a new aldabra about 20 months old at about 7.5"in she has been in the new enclosure now for about a week. she has just not eaten much at all since I received her. i have her in a 6'x3' indoor enclosure at about 84 degrees and about 70% humidity. I have also moved her outside to a grass enclosure. but just not a lot of activity from her mostly she just moves to a corner and hides. and she is just not eating. I have offered remain lettuce and dandy lion greens mots tortoise chow and strawberry’s but she has not eaten much. I have also tried to soak her. I don’t know what is wrong.

Radiated

5 Year Member
u could try to increase the temps. tried to soak her? soak everyday. Whats the indoor substrate? And just give it some time

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I have tried to soaked and she is on cypres mulch. she just seems to be very shy and if she sees me she pulls her head in and hids. i have left her with food and just left her alone but food is not touched.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Good luck with you new Aldabra!

I give my little SL Stars a few cubes of Mazuri each week and they love it. You should give it a try like Radiated said. And I agree with the other message that you should just give her some time. She need to feel safe in her new home.

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I have tried mazuri along with other thing and she will not eat.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Have you spoken to the breeder? He/she should be able to give you some advise about you Aldabra. Also, it maybe a good time to introduce your tortoise to a good reptile vet for a wellness visit.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You have only had your tort for 1 week. regardless of species, that is no time at all for it to settle.

It can take weeks, if not months for your tort to get used to the new way of things and decide that and its new home are to be trusted.

Resist the temptation to stand over your tort watching their every move. Give him space and time to get brave and start exploring.

Get into a routine, so your new friend knows what to expect and when.

A soak at roughly the same time each morning before he's warmed up properly is a good start to the day. It helps to keep your tort hydrated while he's not eating properly, it encourages pooping and it lets him get used to being handled by you.

Feed your tort straight after the soak... Joe's always hungriest straight after his... and it adds to the routine for the day.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
JoesMum said:
You have only had your tort for 1 week. regardless of species, that is no time at all for it to settle.

It can take weeks, if not months for your tort to get used to the new way of things and decide that and its new home are to be trusted.

Resist the temptation to stand over your tort watching their every move. Give him space and time to get brave and start exploring.

Get into a routine, so your new friend knows what to expect and when.

A soak at roughly the same time each morning before he's warmed up properly is a good start to the day. It helps to keep your tort hydrated while he's not eating properly, it encourages pooping and it lets him get used to being handled by you.

Feed your tort straight after the soak... Joe's always hungriest straight after his... and it adds to the routine for the day.

:tort: They tend to be shy at first after being moved and relocated. Good size, if your little guy was imported, probably not handled much at all. All good advice so far. I wish you the best with your new aldabra, please post pictures.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
How new is it,?
It could be stressed from the big new move or new environment.
Just keep an eye on it, and leave fresh food and water daily :)

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
She is not an import I got her from chris Estep This is a hatchling from the Tulsa zoo. I have been watching and soaking every day she is not eating much and I have not seen her use the bathroom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think if you give her more time, she will settle in. I would also give a bigger variety of food choices. I have read before on here, that they are very shy until they are around two years old. They may just be a lot slower then other torts. Most torts, by the sounds of things on TFO, don't take no where near two years to get out of the shyness. I would also contact Chris and find out what he fed and if she had a can't resist favorite.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Take a breath and relax :D a week is no where near enough time for your tort to be adjusted...no matter if you agree or not ....they do not work within out time table, so do not stress the tort out by fussing too much....set her enclosure up and outdoor yard up so all is good and then leave her be....outside of course of soaking and food offerings...if your set up is good and you offer soaks and food all you now need to offer is time....:D

I would love to see pics as well....

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Does your animal seem especially light in weight at this time or is only not eating? Are the eyes and nostrils clear and healthy looking? Does it drink when you set it for soaks?

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Give her time, took mine a month before I could come within sight of them without them clamming up tight, but they eventually began to come around. Boy, can they move FAST at that age! Little sprinters!

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
No he is heave and strong. And eyes and noise are clear. The thing that concerns me the most is I have never seen her poop. How long can she go with out pooping. Is she blocked and what do I do for her. I am soaking her 2 times a day for about 30 min and no pooping.

Status
Not open for further replies.