Need help. Tortoise will not eat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you. Bad news or not I appreciate the help. I am using a coil uv light. I will get rid of it. Is a uvb bulb acceptable for them? I wasn’t awake or the humidity. He’s been in that enclosure for about 5 years. Can you suggest something more fitting?
I would use an 18" T5 strip florescent like this.
Mine came from Big Al's pet center online.
LLL REPTILES also Carrie's them.
About $50 complete.
For humidity I'd place him in the biggest plastic tote I could find at a hardware store or Walmart. It doesn't need to be too deep. Just wide and long. Then I'd dump in some bark like you have and pour a little water on top of it. Not enough to soak it. Just for humidity.
For heat, I'd use a CHE or two.
You want over 70% humidity
80 to 86 degrees
No bright lights.
12 hours of light. 12 hours of dark.
I dont keep any Redfoot indoors. But plenty of other keepers do.
@Toddrickfl1 would be better to ask about that.

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 2

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Since he is 5 years old you can back off the humidity a little. He doesn't need the super high humidity a Hatchling would need. It's going to pretty costly to build a closed chamber for an adult. If it were me I'd create a closed humidity chamber, inside the enclosure. Like a humid hide. Maybe get a large plastic tote and cut a hole in the side and place it inside the hide your Tortoise Table already has and pack it with moist substrate.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
If our Redfoot is anything to go by, fresh ripe figs are a real treat, and they're just coming in to season. They're not the same species as the ones they munch on in the wild, but he doesn't seem to mind. I think we went through close to 2lbs. (1 fig a day) this spring.