need help , tortoise stopped eating and move on hind legs

enchilada

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Beach CA
My 4 years old radiata stopped eating since last night and start acting weird .
It moves on his hind legs only , and constantly stands up like when you spray water on him .
Living condition was the same for years and the other radiata with him was totally fine .

F178932A-CB26-4F31-9F8E-0C3008088C8A.jpeg 6AF4C15D-DE39-4C2C-82E4-12E8BA40BCC1.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree. Put him in your bath tub with water that comes up to the middle of his shell on the sides, and let him get bored of being in there. Scrambling around in there, trying to get out, helps get things moving.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Agree with Karen and Yvonne. Glad you were able to post video clips (something I have yet to figure out myself) it is so much better when you can actually SEE for yourself what the issue is. One of my RFs started doing similar “butt dance” within the past few months. She is little over 3 yrs old and I think reaching puberty or something judging by her external physical features (how fat her tail has become). When you have your tort in water, try to look at his tail and see if it’s “sweeping” side to side over the floor. My Shellie often does that when she is trying to poop and pee. Not eating is a concern tho, but I thing if you get really aggressive with nice warm soaking (and put more water in there, like Yvonne said - but stay with him make sure he doesn’t drown) I think he needs a good poo and all will be well

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is this a male? If it does it again, try to look underneath it and see if anything is sticking out of the tail.

Do the two of them live together?

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Is this a male? If it does it again, try to look underneath it and see if anything is sticking out of the tail.

Do the two of them live together?
Yeah those 2 radiata live together.
But isn’t 4 yrs old too young to tell ?
I tried various food last night , the only thing it has appetite was aquatic turtle food

Still the same this morning. I’m starting soak him

Last edited:

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
That is a bit odd. Sometimes they will wiggle back and forth as though they are scratching their plastron, and males can make strange movements when they are flashing (where @Tom was going), but that looks different than that. Soak as suggested - constipation is certainly a possibility. Have you tested for parasites recently?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Yeah those 2 radiata live together.
But isn’t 4 yrs old too young to tell ?
I tried various food last night , the only thing it has appetite was aquatic turtle food

Still the same this morning. I’m starting soak him

Do you see him WALK? How is his gait? If his getting from point A to point B looks like his normal walking pattern then it’s something about his tail/or butt

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm sure you have done this, but I'll ask anyway.
Have you carefully examined his plastron, arms, soft skin of neck, everything you can see?
No spots, punctures, sticks, stones?
If you gently pull a front leg, does he resist?

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
I'm sure you have done this, but I'll ask anyway.
Have you carefully examined his plastron, arms, soft skin of neck, everything you can see?
No spots, punctures, sticks, stones?
If you gently pull a front leg, does he resist?
Nothing . Yes I can feel the resist when i pull the front legs .

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Update, it seems the front legs are a lot weaker than the other normal radiata’s legs

Btw he ate one Mazuri last night

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Might be lack of calcium to make his bones and muscles strong. Is he getting the UVB to make his calcium work?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Unfortunately, there could be more than one problem going on. I would continue the soaks 2 times daily. Only one maybe just didn't get the job done.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Might be lack of calcium to make his bones and muscles strong. Is he getting the UVB to make his calcium work?
They spend the day outside everyday .
Maybe he got bit by something venomous or heat stroke that impaired the front leg function ?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
does he fully and normally extend his head/neck ? myself personally i'd get a vet involved , an x-ray may be helpful …… could be neurological , caused by a virus , bacteria , injury , or dietary deficiency …….. may be something a steroid would help ……...

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
does he fully and normally extend his head/neck ? myself personally i'd get a vet involved , an x-ray may be helpful …… could be neurological , caused by a virus , bacteria , injury , or dietary deficiency …….. may be something a steroid would help ……...
Neck dose not extend fully . He seems having trouble reaching out neck to get food . I have to put food right under his mouth .

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
possibly could be a neck injury ……….