Need Help to identify this Substrate..

jerryl

http://postimg.org/image/7c37mkxrf/

Is this really Coco Coir? i got this from my local gardening store and she told me this is Coco Coir..but this look really dusty?

After i use this substrate i discover that my tors keep blinking and rubbing their eyes for now.. one of them even have a puffy/swollen eye right after he done rubbing his eye , but few sec after it , his eye will be back to normal again..

Please help?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks like coco coir that needs to be moistened. I'd dump the whole batch into a 5 gallon bucket and add warm water. Mix it up with your hands and scrunch it together so you can get it to absorb the water. It looks like its been dry for so long it may repel the water instead of absorbing it. But it will if you work it.

All those long strings is the reason I quit using coco coir. I'd find long strings sticking out of the babies' mouths and sticking out of their cloaca.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It is designed to be used moistened, not dry.

Also, What sort of lighting are you using? What type of UV bulb?

jerryl

I dint use any UV bulb cause all those bulb at my local store are coil type bulb..i usually put them outdoor during the day for the sunlight and put them back indoor at night.

Is that normal if they just awoke and the eyes get puffy for a sec?