Need help save my radiated tortoise

Ugona

Location (City and/or State)
Miami
Good morning everyone, I need help desperately. My radiata is about 30 years old. A few months back he stopped eating and became lethargic. He has been seen by multiple exotic vets and treated mainly with antibiotics, via injection and orally. A couple of weeks back, a feeding tube was put in, to give him nutrients. His albumin is very low. The feeding tube was replaced last week and a bigger one was inserted and feedings increased. He has been fed Emeraid IC. With the new feeding tube he regurgitates the food and meds via nose and mouth. He is now back in the vet's hospital. The vet is puzzled about his and consulted with Dr. Mader, a retired tortoise expert in the FL Keys, who recommended stopping all meds, except for a stomach stimulant as the tortoise has not defecated in a while. His neck and sides are now very swollen and he is not moving around. One vet diagnosed mycoplasma. Another vet did further nasal swab and found yeast infection, but that was normal due to the long term antibiotic administration. He was given Doxycycline, then added Cipro (after a three weeks cycle with broad spectrum injectable antibiotics. At this point I have been given very low hope. Dr. Mader suggested he may have massive organ failure. He has not defecated in a while. He tries to lift his back legs but nothing comes out. Xrays have not revealed any obstructions nor lung fluids. Anyone can share any experience and recommend reptile experts in Miami and South Florida that I could also consult? He is part of my family and I want to do whatever possible to save him, but also not prolong his misery if there is nothing that can be done.
Thank you very much.

pic 1.jpgpic2.jpg

TaylorTortoise

Abington
The only thing I can think of is infection, or some type of parasites?
Could it be his kidneys? Or some other type of Organs failing?
I did read that you mentioned he got xrays done... so this might be able to rule out kidney failure?
We seen a tort blow up due to kidney failure but I don't want to scare you and assume that is what it is.
Tortoise was blown up like yours but with appropriate treatment I believe he was okay, or at least doing better.

Best of luck. I would do warm soaks, and do what you can to figure out what needs to be treated.

Ugona

Miami
Thank you, latest update from vet, who ran more imaging is that he has a large mass, fist size, under the stomach. It is either a tumor in the liver or fluids around his heart, indicating heard disease. Both essentially not treatable. I am devastated, I think my only option will be to put him to sleep.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Thank you, latest update from vet, who ran more imaging is that he has a large mass, fist size, under the stomach. It is either a tumor in the liver or fluids around his heart, indicating heard disease. Both essentially not treatable. I am devastated, I think my only option will be to put him to sleep.
:( I am so so sorry to hear this devastating news. Putting him to sleep might be best, but that also is tough. Whatever you choose will be the best option for you.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
So very sorry. This is terrible news. My prayers for you & your loss.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The food coming back up when using a feeding tube is a big clue that the tortoise's stomach is too full to accept more food.

I lost a tortoise because of a mass near the stomach too. If surgery is not an option, the tortoise stops eating and starves to death.

I'm sorry to read this awful news about your tortoise.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good morning everyone, I need help desperately. My radiata is about 30 years old. A few months back he stopped eating and became lethargic. He has been seen by multiple exotic vets and treated mainly with antibiotics, via injection and orally. A couple of weeks back, a feeding tube was put in, to give him nutrients. His albumin is very low. The feeding tube was replaced last week and a bigger one was inserted and feedings increased. He has been fed Emeraid IC. With the new feeding tube he regurgitates the food and meds via nose and mouth. He is now back in the vet's hospital. The vet is puzzled about his and consulted with Dr. Mader, a retired tortoise expert in the FL Keys, who recommended stopping all meds, except for a stomach stimulant as the tortoise has not defecated in a while. His neck and sides are now very swollen and he is not moving around. One vet diagnosed mycoplasma. Another vet did further nasal swab and found yeast infection, but that was normal due to the long term antibiotic administration. He was given Doxycycline, then added Cipro (after a three weeks cycle with broad spectrum injectable antibiotics. At this point I have been given very low hope. Dr. Mader suggested he may have massive organ failure. He has not defecated in a while. He tries to lift his back legs but nothing comes out. Xrays have not revealed any obstructions nor lung fluids. Anyone can share any experience and recommend reptile experts in Miami and South Florida that I could also consult? He is part of my family and I want to do whatever possible to save him, but also not prolong his misery if there is nothing that can be done.
Thank you very much.

View attachment 320278View attachment 320279
This is an awful thing to happen to the both of you, but if Dr. Mader can't save him, nobody can, He is the foremost expert on tortoises in the world. Sometimes, the most loving thing to do is euthanasia.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds to me like he might have been impacted. Non radio dense material won't show up on an X-ray.

I highly recommend a necropsy, just for your own peace of mind. You'll want to know what happened. We all can learn from it too.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm sorry for your loss.

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
Thank you very much.

View attachment 320278View attachment 320279
POOR BABY LOOKS MISERABLE. SO SORRY. :confused:

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Thank you all for your kind words. He is resting in peace now. ?

I am truly sorry to hear it.
I have lost my very young dog to a liver disease from unknown reason (possibly genetics). You provided your tortoise with the best possible care. Hope him and my Sasha are happy running on clouds. ❤️❤️❤️

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Thank you all for your kind words. He is resting in peace now. ?
I’m so deeply sorry for your loss. The fact that you had a tortoise that old with such a beautiful carapace is testament to the amazing care you must have given it. Please know that I am holding you close to my heart and hope that you find peace with your difficult decision.

ANGELA BRZECZKOWSKI

HARTLAND, WI
Big hug, I'm so so sorry that is happening