need help Please!! (sick baby Russian)

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Dakota
glad to hear ur tortoise is getting better and the other tortoise u posted appears to be dry looking and the shell looks like it has old damage.

A Carson

glad to hear ur tortoise is getting better and the other tortoise u posted appears to be dry looking and the shell looks like it has old damage.

Thank you so much. That other picture is my sister's and i hate to say it but she doesn't care for him the right way,makes me sad:(

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
yea its saddening how some people care for there pets I try and take the best care of my pets hence the reason I joined this forum to help me out with the torts.

A Carson

yea its saddening how some people care for there pets I try and take the best care of my pets hence the reason I joined this forum to help me out with the torts.

Exactly!! Same reason I'm here! I try to help her but she doesn't take anything i say and improve his conditions. She uses the coil bulb which is not good. He's rarely soaked.its just devastating,i feel terrible Every time i see him,I'm about to steal him and give him a better home lol

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Glad to hear that your little one is improving. Once the weather warms up it will help also as he will be able to enjoy outside.

A Carson

I guess I'm just filled with devastation. Just when i think he's getting better, He takes ten steps backwards. I just gave him his 9th injection yesterday. He has one left. And I'm back at square one. I have not changed anything, my husbandry is great, temps are great, food. Soaking, the whole nine yards, this has been the longest four months of my life and i really just don't know what to do anymore. Is it possible that he will never get over this? I just am stuck. Horrible experience. This is my first time have a tortoise, i love the little guy dearly but this is literally creating health issues for me because of the stress. Please someone help me:(

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
What are his current symptoms? Are you using a temp gun, or how are you monitoring temps? Is he eating and reasonably active? I have a leopard that didn't respond to antibiotics when he got an RI. I just kept him warm and humid for months. If I remember correctly it was about 6 months before I felt he was recovered. He was eating though and ok besides the raspy breathing. What substrate are you using now? I am so sorry this is such a rough experience for you.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Sorry I don't know Tom or the others who have more experience can help better. I understand how hard it all is.

A Carson

What are his current symptoms? Are you using a temp gun, or how are you monitoring temps? Is he eating and reasonably active? I have a leopard that didn't respond to antibiotics when he got an RI. I just kept him warm and humid for months. If I remember correctly it was about 6 months before I felt he was recovered. He was eating though and ok besides the raspy breathing. What substrate are you using now? I am so sorry this is such a rough experience for you.

He mostly just has a runny nose occasionally, smacking his tounge as if he's eating something, his eyes still bother him. The vet wants me to use paper towel, so that's what I've been using. She said to rule out all possible irritants. I'm feeling like i should have something for him to burrow into since instinctively that's what they love to do. Last time i did that he went way backwards. Now he's definitely better but still blowing bubbles out of his nose....not all the time...and he's a great eater and everything else is great besides his symptoms not going away completely. I'm tempted to use cypress mulch, it's the only thing i haven't tried and it seems to hold in humidity from what I've read.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I think just relax and let him get better. Tortoises have very slow metAbolisms. It takes a long time to get better. Continue the best care you can and keep him warm. Substrate is a personal choice. The substrate didn't cause this. Whatever you use keep your temps up. Using a temp gun is the best way to know the substrate temp.