need help Please!! (sick baby Russian)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I don't know about stopping the meds. I would probably do what the vet says. When you put him back on substrate keep your temps up. Remember your little guy is on the floor, so that is where you need to read the temps. Good job getting him better.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If the injections are antibiotics I would not stop them. Just like in humans you don't stop antibiotics when the symptoms stop. That's why we have so much trouble with strains of bacteria but did not respond to antibiotics. We don't want to get that started in the animal population too. Definitely consult your vet before you stop the meds.i'm glad your tortoise is feeling better.

A Carson

If the injections are antibiotics I would not stop them. Just like in humans you don't stop antibiotics when the symptoms stop. That's why we have so much trouble with strains of bacteria but did not respond to antibiotics. We don't want to get that started in the animal population too. Definitely consult your vet before you stop the meds.i'm glad your tortoise is feeling better.

I agree totally. My only concern is that the antibiotic is very hard on his kidneys and i have to be careful to not give him too much. The vet doesn't really know the appropriate dose, she told me she just doesn't want to go any longer because of possible kidney failure etc...so it's hard knowing how many to give and if he would be ok for him.

A Carson

I don't know about stopping the meds. I would probably do what the vet says. When you put him back on substrate keep your temps up. Remember your little guy is on the floor, so that is where you need to read the temps. Good job getting him better.

I definitely don't want to stop i need him to get better it's been three long months. I will for sure give him all ten injections if need be, its just last time She didn't want to go past seven injections, so now she says ten so i just hope it's not to hard on his systems. Thank you for all your wonderful advice. I think I'm going to try him out on cypress mulch and see if he does ok With that. I hope that is ok.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That should work. Keep it slightly moist. Talk to your vet and see what she thinks. maybe she will want to stop at seven. I don't know.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I definitely don't want to stop i need him to get better it's been three long months. I will for sure give him all ten injections if need be, its just last time She didn't want to go past seven injections, so now she says ten so i just hope it's not to hard on his systems. Thank you for all your wonderful advice. I think I'm going to try him out on cypress mulch and see if he does ok With that. I hope that is ok.
He is a baby right? Make sure it is small pieces. The large chunks are hard for them to walk on when they are little.

A Carson

He is a baby right? Make sure it is small pieces. The large chunks are hard for them to walk on when they are little.

He is a big baby guess you could say. He is 10 months old and will be 1 in April. Would orchid bark be better if i keep it moist and temps up?

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I have not used orchid bark but I have used cypress mulch. I would try the orchid bark before the mulch because I would be concerned with the eyes and being smaller it would poke the eye.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He is a big baby guess you could say. He is 10 months old and will be 1 in April. Would orchid bark be better if i keep it moist and temps up?
I always use coco Coir for my babies and top it with coco husk for my big guys, so I am not sure which of the barks or mulches are best. Yvonne always says she uses Cyprus, I think and Tom likes orchid bark. I have heard, and it makes sense, that little guys will have trouble walking on big pieces. It is not good for leg development. No matter what you use though, yes keep it moist and for this guy, to make sure he doesn't relapse, keep your temps, at substrate level at least 80F at the minimum, for the next month or so I might shoot for 83F even. Depending on the humidity level you are maintaining. High humidity prevents pyramiding and is good for them, but cool temps and high humidity causes a sick tortoise almost every time.
Is your enclosure a closed chamber?

A Carson

I haven't been able to look into the closed chamber yet, however i do have tin foil over have of the enclosure which is really keeping the heat in, temps are perfect!! Thanks for all the heat advice!!

A Carson

I won't update everyday I'm just thrilled because today Leo seems absolutely perfect, eyes, nose and all!!!! Seriously i couldn't be any happier!!!!!