need help Please!! (sick baby Russian)

A Carson

When you say a cement mixing tub, I'm not sure what exactly that looks like size wise, so if it's quite small, just be sure you watch the temps closely - it's surprising how warm it gets and stays with just a light or even partial cover.

The cement mixing tub is pretty big. It's about three feet long by two feet wide.

A Carson

Thank you guys for all your help, it really means a lot, i will keep you all posted.

Just want to thank you all for all your time and advice. Leo seems a tiny bit better today. He woke up on his and walked over and ate some kale and dandelion greens. His eyes were open, he seems to not be able to open them big for long periods of time. But he still does at times at least so that's good. Hopefully the injection will help with that!

Anyone know what Good eye drops would be for him at this point? I think on a different forum or this one i can't remember. They said the drops i was using wouldnt do good, i wonder what and what they Are good for then. The drops are caled ciprofloxacin.

Also it seems that if i open my vent in my room(i close it at night because it's too hot it's right by my bed) but during the day i could keep it open it boost temps a little . hope this is ok, the temp thing i have seems pretty accurate but I'm getting a temp gun soon. Also i have a humidifier in my room so hopefully that helps humidity.

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Just want to thank you all for all your time and advice. Leo seems a tiny bit better today. He woke up on his and walked over and ate some kale and dandelion greens. His eyes were open, he seems to not be able to open them big for long periods of time. But he still does at times at least so that's good. Hopefully the injection will help with that!

Anyone know what Good eye drops would be for him at this point? I think on a different forum or this one i can't remember. They said the drops i was using wouldnt do good, i wonder what and what they Are good for then. The drops are caled ciprofloxacin.
Hi glad he is doing a bit better. @Yvonne G might be able to help with your questions

Also it seems that if i open my vent in my room(i close it at night because it's too hot it's right by my bed) but during the day i could keep it open it boost temps a little . hope this is ok, the temp thing i have seems pretty accurate but I'm getting a temp gun soon. Also i have a humidifier in my room so hopefully that helps humidity.

A Carson

You guys are the best i love you all lol. Actually he's doing great I'm so happy! He still is sick, this will be a long haul since he relapsed, however today was his second injection, he didn't like it too much:( but just from removing the substrate and using paper towels for now, he's doing great, i see improvement which is very promising. Still has the runny nose, just not as much, eyes are doing better. He woke up on his own and had his eyes open and ate like a pig today!!! I put tinfoil over half of the enclosure on the heated side and that's really keeping the heat at perfect levels. I'm very happy with his progress and cannot wait for him to be fully healed! I must admit I'm a little scared to put real substrate in there once he's healthy but I'm leaning on use either orchid bark or cypress mulch which is what he used at the breeder. Thank you all so much for the support. I'm sure I'll post more because like his last RI things change everyday so we will see, I'm thinking he will pull through and i have you guys to thank!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Glad to hear this! For 6 months to a year, i would be very careful with that he temps no matter what substrate you decide on. Heres hoping for continued improvement. :<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

This is the best stuff, but sometimes it's hard to find. You can get it from a vet or at a feed store:

eye ointment a.jpg

This one is pretty good for a second choice, and easy to find at pet stores:

eye ointment.jpg

A Carson

This is the best stuff, but sometimes it's hard to find. You can get it from a vet or at a feed store:

View attachment 117949

This one is pretty good for a second choice, and easy to find at pet stores:

View attachment 117950

I'm going to talk to my vet and see if they will give me that. Do you happen to know what the drops are that I'm currently using? I tried researching but didn't find too much on it:(

A Carson

Another good start to the day, Leo woke up on his own and was ready to eat, eyes open, no runny nose!!! Usually he will blow bubbles out of his nose when he's almost done eating but i have to leave to work now:( here's a cute picture of him eating:)

20150211_100841.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm going to talk to my vet and see if they will give me that. Do you happen to know what the drops are that I'm currently using? I tried researching but didn't find too much on it:(

It's an antibiotic. I've not seen it used as eye drops, but rather as an injection. So I'm afraid I can't help you with that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another good start to the day, Leo woke up on his own and was ready to eat, eyes open, no runny nose!!! Usually he will blow bubbles out of his nose when he's almost done eating but i have to leave to work now:( here's a cute picture of him eating:)

View attachment 118106

Aw-w-w...love the back leg reach!!

A Carson

I must say I'm happier than happy with Way things are going. No runny nose at all today!!! No smacking his mouth, or stretching his neck and "yawning". His eyes just puzzle me. I just don't get what to do to fix that part. He opens them wide open when he eats but then reverts to closing them almost instantly after eating and still rubs them a little. Don't know how to explain it.....

A Carson

I am so so so so so happy. Today is the healthiest and happiest i have ever seen him!!! He melts my heart he is so darn cute:) No symptoms at all!! Not even irritated eyes!! I must admit I'm scared to use substrate because every time i do i seem to get him so so sick:( anyways today was his third injection, and he hated it so bad:( sometimes i feel like I'm doing the injections wrong and just hope I'm doing it right. The vet said in the upper part of his arm toward the back on the thicker muscle part of the arm. I wish i could bring him to the vet every time for the injections but that would be far too much stress on my little guy.

Also the first round of injections took way longer to work. 7 injections total. But today was shot 3 on the second round of antibiotics and there was a month in between stopping and the starting up. I know these injections are hard on him, I'm soaking him every day, but i know he needs them to get better. The vet said 10 injections total, but i haven't told her yet his progress as today so she might reduce that. I'm afraid that if i stop too soon he will relapse again. Any advice on this?