need help Please!! (sick baby Russian)

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
The substrate was plenty damp packed down. The care sheet isn't specific to a sick tortiose
What do you think good temps are when he's sick? Also when he's better what would you think about forest floor as a substrate? I really am not fond of coconut coir. Maybe it's a coincidence but it just seems like he would get irritated by it
@Yvonne G @Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While he's sick, I would keep the temperature 85F over all with no gradient. My favorite substrate is the small grade orchid bark. You can wet it and it doesn't get sour, and if he eats it accidentally, it doesn't cause impaction.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
It's very frustrating and creating a lot of hardship for my family. No top on the 20 gallon. I thought they need air circulation?

In this case, it would seem that keeping the temperature up would be more important. Cover the top completely at night; 80% covered during the day so the ambient is at least 85 F. with a basking spot of at least 95 F.. High temperatures are always the best first aid for a herp who's sick.

What is "forest floor" - bark?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you think good temps are when he's sick? Also when he's better what would you think about forest floor as a substrate? I really am not fond of coconut coir. Maybe it's a coincidence but it just seems like he would get irritated by it

I would keep ambient at 75-78 at night and 80-85 during the day. I would offer a 100 degree basking site all day too.

"Forrest Floor" is cypress mulch. That is fine. I prefer orchid bark to that though. Coco coir really is the best substrate for small russians. You have to keep it damp, thick and keep hand packing it down. After a week or two it settles in nicely. If you just don't like it, the orchid bark or cypress mulch will work just fine.

A Carson

While he's sick, I would keep the temperature 85F over all with no gradient. My favorite substrate is the small grade orchid bark. You can wet it and it doesn't get sour, and if he eats it accidentally, it doesn't cause impaction.

Is that the same as reptibark? And its ok to spray it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is that the same as reptibark? And its ok to spray it?

Reptibark is orchid bark. The pet store just charges a whole lot more for tiny amounts compared to what you buy in the hardware or garden stores.

I dampen mine by dumping water on it and spraying too.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Reptibark is orchid bark. The pet store just charges a whole lot more for tiny amounts compared to what you buy in the hardware or garden stores.

I dampen mine by dumping water on it and spraying too.

Can the babies dig and bury themselves in the Reptibark / Orchid bark ?

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
After reading everything and being someone who got a healthy baby who got sick and we couldn't figure out why, I'm going to put my 2 cents in. I thought I read that you are measuring temps with a stick on meter. Maybe it's lying to you. When my 7 month old guy was sick, tenting his whole enclosure with foil and keeping is really warm, all be it dry, was the only thing that helped. By really warm, I'm suggesting basking at at least 100, and 80s for the rest. Especially at night, which means being darn sure that wherever in your enclosure he is tucking in at night actually maintains this temp all night. Just ensure you do nice long warm soaks to counteract the inevitable drying effect of higher temps. It is my personal opinion that if you're a newbie without all the right measuring equipment like I was, during the healing period it's ok to forgo humidity for a few weeks as the effect of too cold + damp is far more damaging than a bit dry. Just ensure you soak.

I was in your exact position a few months ago, I think this will help! Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After reading everything and being someone who got a healthy baby who got sick and we couldn't figure out why, I'm going to put my 2 cents in. I thought I read that you are measuring temps with a stick on meter. Maybe it's lying to you. When my 7 month old guy was sick, tenting his whole enclosure with foil and keeping is really warm, all be it dry, was the only thing that helped. By really warm, I'm suggesting basking at at least 100, and 80s for the rest. Especially at night, which means being darn sure that wherever in your enclosure he is tucking in at night actually maintains this temp all night. Just ensure you do nice long warm soaks to counteract the inevitable drying effect of higher temps. It is my personal opinion that if you're a newbie without all the right measuring equipment like I was, during the healing period it's ok to forgo humidity for a few weeks as the effect of too cold + damp is far more damaging than a bit dry. Just ensure you soak.

Good post. I agree.

A Carson

Thanks so much Yvonne for all your advice i really appreciate it:) where do you buy the small grade orchid bark from?

A Carson

In this case, it would seem that keeping the temperature up would be more important. Cover the top completely at night; 80% covered during the day so the ambient is at least 85 F. with a basking spot of at least 95 F.. High temperatures are always the best first aid for a herp who's sick.

What is "forest floor" - bark?

Do you think i could cover it with aluminium foil? Forest floor is cypress mulch.

A Carson

I would keep ambient at 75-78 at night and 80-85 during the day. I would offer a 100 degree basking site all day too.

"Forrest Floor" is cypress mulch. That is fine. I prefer orchid bark to that though. Coco coir really is the best substrate for small russians. You have to keep it damp, thick and keep hand packing it down. After a week or two it settles in nicely. If you just don't like it, the orchid bark or cypress mulch will work just fine.

Thank you so much Tom your help really means a lot. Just from what your hearing do you think my little guy will pull through? I'm scared i will lose him:( and if i did I'd be scared to try again. My sister has three for ten plus years and no problems. Unbelievable my luck lol

A Carson

I was in your exact position a few months ago, I think this will help! Good luck!

Thank you so much i feel much better hearing that. Can i put the foil over the cement mixing tub?

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
When you say a cement mixing tub, I'm not sure what exactly that looks like size wise, so if it's quite small, just be sure you watch the temps closely - it's surprising how warm it gets and stays with just a light or even partial cover.