need help Please!! (sick baby Russian)

A Carson

Yes he has a water dish it just wasnt in for the picture it was being disinfected with his stones but i can take a better pic tomorrow and post. He never goes in his water dish. I do soak him almost every day.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Are the disk things how you are measuring your temps? These are not accurate more often than not. Get a digital thermometer asap, so you can accurately monitor temps.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
See I was more intersed to see how Cole the enclosure was to a window or a door because you are from Minassota it gets real cold so I wouldn't put the enclosure on the floor either . And P.S. I didn't look at the paper towels either :)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Ok I'm not sure what you can do. I'm a newbie . Did you read the Russian care sheets. Can you cover part of the enclosure.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Is there a way to increase the humidity? Can you tear up paper towels for him to snuggle in? Does he have a hide?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are the disk things how you are measuring your temps? These are not accurate more often than not. Get a digital thermometer asap, so you can accurately monitor temps.
The temperature gun works really well also.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you have a CHE, ceramic heat emitifier, for nighttime heat? Usually Russians do not need night heat but I have read on other threads where keeping the heat at 80 or above even at night can help with respiratory infection.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So I read all the posts a couple of things jump out at me. First substrate does not cause RI, if that is what your vet was getting at. It dosn't sounnd like an irratant to me, but keeping him on paper for now won"t hurt. I don't know why the vet discontinued the meds, they should always go full course. It sounds like it could have been started bad, or simply failure to thrive. Good sign if he is still eating, If the tortoise wre mine here is what I would do, new vet, full antibbiotic treatment, closed chamber, and hope the little guy pulls through.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
So I read all the posts a couple of things jump out at me. First substrate does not cause RI, if that is what your vet was getting at. It dosn't sounnd like an irratant to me, but keeping him on paper for now won"t hurt. I don't know why the vet discontinued the meds, they should always go full course. It sounds like it could have been started bad, or simply failure to thrive. Good sign if he is still eating, If the tortoise wre mine here is what I would do, new vet, full antibbiotic treatment, closed chamber, and hope the little guy pulls through.
The reason the vet stopped the antibiotic treatment is antibbiotics is it don't only kill bad bactiria it can kill of the good . And then you will have to start the good over again .

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
You can probably skip the chia. None of my tortoises will touch it. Under NO circumstances let that stuff get established outside. It is more invasive than pythons in the Everglades!! Ciprofloxacin eyedrops are probably also of limited value. Ciprofloxacin was not designed for topical use.

By now, considering the amount of time & $$$ spent at the vet, a culture & sensitivity could [spelled "should"] have been completed. This will identify the pathogen(s) show the most effective antibiotic(s) to use to combat the infection.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I think your vet doesn't really know what's going on and is guessing.

Try adding topsoil or potting soil with no additives to the coconut coir. No little white pellets or flakes, he'll eat them & they're indigestible. No chemicals or plant food. Otherwise try sphagnum moss. A dry environment is not what he needs at all.

Get a proper bulb now even if you have to borrow the money. It's worth more than a vet visit.

What are you using to disinfect the water dish? Continue soaking, and use eye wash multiple times a day. An ointment might be better than eye drops. If the eyes aren't open then drops aren't going to teach the target.

Is he still eating?

A Carson

I had a digital one that broke so i just used these for now until i get a new one. The digital one was pretty darn close to the ones I'm using temporarily.

A Carson

See I was more intersed to see how Cole the enclosure was to a window or a door because you are from Minassota it gets real cold so I wouldn't put the enclosure on the floor either . And P.S. I didn't look at the paper towels either :)

He's but by a window at all. I also have plastic on the window. Hes not on the floor. I have him on top of a coffee table in my bedroom:)

A Carson

Is there a way to increase the humidity? Can you tear up paper towels for him to snuggle in? Does he have a hide?
Yes i did tear you a bunch of paper towels so he can burrow in them. Yes he has a hide:) i also have a humidifier going to help with humidity .

A Carson

Do you have a CHE, ceramic heat emitifier, for nighttime heat? Usually Russians do not need night heat but I have read on other threads where keeping the heat at 80 or above even at night can help with respiratory infection.

Yes i use a CHE at night time. The vet said night time heat is important with RI.

A Carson

The vet originally said five injections.Then he was way better. But still a little bit. Gave him the 6th injection he was perfect. She said to give him over more to get it for sure. The substrate from the beginning got very dry and dusty and i know over time could cause ri. Also the second i put him in he seemed irritated. I literally had to pull coconut fibers out of his nose and away from his eyes. Maybe it's a coincidence but happened both times with coconut fiber:(

A Carson

The reason the vet stopped the antibiotic treatment is antibbiotics is it don't only kill bad bactiria it can kill of the good . And then you will have to start the good over again .

Yes that's exactly why!! Also it can be very hard on the kidneys and cause kidney failure so you have to be very careful.