Need help naming my tortoise!!!

Mommyof4

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I've had my russian hatchling for a week now and he/she still does not have a name. I think I'm having trouble because I have wanted one for as long as I can remember and this is a big decision. I don't want to name him after cartoon tortoises or other famous tortoises. I am a science major, so I'm trying to think of a cute science related name. Can someone please give me a few new ideas? Thank you!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am bad at coming up with names. Just remember, the name can easily be changed as they are not at all like a dog or cat that gets used to their names. I'm not saying that some torts don't seem to recognize their names, but it's really more the human they seem to be responding to more then the name. Possibly even the tone the name is said in.
Good luck, maybe go through one of your books and see what pops out at you.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Such a good decision you're making not choosing a cartoon or famous tortoises name! I thought I was being cute naming my Russian Franklin... until I realized literally EVERYONE has a franklin... so much less cute now! But he had the name before I even got him so its stuck with me, so I call him 'Nank, "Nay, or Nay-nay most of the time.
I like Beaker! but see how the whole Muppet thing could be in the way of that choice haha. Being a science person you have to have a favorite obscure scientist, there just has to be one that sticks out, use that :) that would be original :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Ha! I forgot about the muppet when I said that.

No offense to people with Shelldons or Shellys...but I. Just. Can't. So I get where you're coming from. :) I wanted to use "famous" dinos/dragons, but realized there just weren't enough girl names. So all my new turtles in August are just earthy nature-y names.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My animals usually name themselves. After watching them for a while the name just springs forward and fits either the looks or the behaviour. The only exception to this has been my dog. I allowed my grand daughter to name Misty, the doberman. The name totally does NOT fit her, but sometimes you have to give a little.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
My animals usually name themselves. After watching them for a while the name just springs forward and fits either the looks or the behaviour. The only exception to this has been my dog. I allowed my grand daughter to name Misty, the doberman. The name totally does NOT fit her, but sometimes you have to give a little.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
As silly as this sounds, I have named every animal I have had as an adult in this way. I took three of my ornate box turtles to the vet a few months ago and when the nurse (???) asked for their names I told her they had not told me their names yet so I did not know them. Surprisingly, she understood completely. I had to call them Smally One, Smally Two and Biggie so the Doctor could write the perscription for the beytril, lol. I have 13 box turtles who have not revealed their names.

Don't worry. Your little guy will let you know what his/her name is if you pay attention. Your fine as long as his/her name doesn't turn out to be Flippy. :) ( I have a Sulcata named Rollo, lol)

Mommyof4

Wisconsin
I was thinking through different scientists and I have always wanted to name a pet Darwin. It didn't fit my dog, so he was named Duke instead and I don't really think it fits my little guy. So I started looking through the different scientists associated with Darwin and I found Thomas Henry Huxley. I thought Huxley would be a cute name for him/her and it isn't really gender specific. What do you guys think?

Tuck22

I asked friends for help in naming my Tortoise and they all gave me great ideas. The problem came after I named him, all my friends now only call my tortoise the name that they picked not the name I chose!

Flipper

MO, USA
I asked friends for help in naming my Tortoise and they all gave me great ideas. The problem came after I named him, all my friends now only call my tortoise the name that they picked not the name I chose!
Rofl! What silly gooses!

Mommyof4

Wisconsin
Oh no!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I tried to name mine after my father in law as an inside joke so my russian was a Martin until I found out he was a she and she became martha, which totally fits her spunk. I would have also went with moxie for her as she is a larger than life personality :)