Need help indentifying a tort that I may be rescuing

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
In the past, I tried to help a friend's little sister in caring for her tortoise. Apparently she isn't taking care of the poor thing well enough, and doesn't even want it anymore (can I just take a moment to say, UGH WTF??? - why even bother???).

I want to learn about this species of tortoise, as I have my own leopard to take care of right now and this seems to be a tortoise on the opposite side of the spectrum of care. I just want to know if I'll be able to care for this tortoise, or if I'll have to find a better home for it other than myself if I'm not able to provide the correct care.

I have asked for an update on how the tortoise is doing, why they are looking to give him to me, and what they've been doing for care. I will update on that information when available. (Last I spoke with them, he had something wrong with his eyes, and honestly didn't sound good... Product of bad care unfortunately.)

Links to care sheets for this species, or even just general advice/information is SO MUCH appreciated. I really want to get this little one healthy and happy FAST!!!

sick tort.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a box turtle. And it looks like he's on cedar shavings which can be deadly, so I get him out of there ASAP.

They are omnivores, they need high humidity, and enjoy a large shallow water source.

Wisconsin
Okay everyone, I am glad to know what this little one is. Are box turtles kept in a tank only, or are they more adapt to land and water?

I know that my sister already has one box turtle, and I am hoping she is willing to care for this one as well. I don't think I have what it takes to care for an omnivore/aquatic reptile. HOWEVER, I am most definitely rescuing it and making sure it goes to a good and caring home. As long as my sister agrees, I know her and her husband/children will care for it the best....

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Three-toed box turtle
Terrapene carolina triunguis

Last edited by a moderator:
Wisconsin
I've been doing a lot of reading while at work today, because WOOHOO desk jobs!

I'm growing more fond of the idea of keeping him home with me. I feel like it will be a learning experience, and I do actually have what it takes. The only thing that is still confusing me about this species, is the water??? Do I give them baths like my leopard tort daily, or do I have to keep some form of water more than a small dish for him readily available?

They said that his name is Lucky, but I might tweak that a little to Felix (meaning happy, fortunate, lucky in the Latin language)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Definitely keep a water dish that she can self soak in. I would suggest daily soaks for a few weeks just to make sure she's hydrated, then you can scale back to 2-3 times a week
The daily soaks would also help with any toxins from that cedar.
I said her but could be a male. Need to see the tail

M

Maggie Cummings

Three-toed box turtle
Terrapene carolina triunguis

Hi Dale!!! Feb 26th is Daytona and then I spend the next few months on the couch drinkin beer (ugh)
In the past, I tried to help a friend's little sister in caring for her tortoise. Apparently she isn't taking care of the poor thing well enough, and doesn't even want it anymore (can I just take a moment to say, UGH WTF??? - why even bother???).

I want to learn about this species of tortoise, as I have my own leopard to take care of right now and this seems to be a tortoise on the opposite side of the spectrum of care. I just want to know if I'll be able to care for this tortoise, or if I'll have to find a better home for it other than myself if I'm not able to provide the correct care.

I have asked for an update on how the tortoise is doing, why they are looking to give him to me, and what they've been doing for care. I will update on that information when available. (Last I spoke with them, he had something wrong with his eyes, and honestly didn't sound good... Product of bad care unfortunately.)

Links to care sheets for this species, or even just general advice/information is SO MUCH appreciated. I really want to get this little one healthy and happy FAST!!!

View attachment 197847

Melissa, you cannot (or should not )mix species, or don't ever put 2 strangers together. You need to quarantine for about 4-5-6 months. Box turtles are "semi" aquatic and enjoy a nice swim and they will spend hours in the water. You shouldn't put anything in with your Leo. Some species carry disease that doesn't hurt them, but 'could' kill a different species. This is not a tortoise it's a box turtle.....you want to make a kinda slanted aquarium, so he can either get in or out of the water. My box turtles fight to see who's gonna get the deepest water spot. Welcome, and keep asking questions...they like worms and fruit. Go to box turtles and you'll see what to feed it....

Last edited by a moderator:
Wisconsin
Hi Dale!!! Feb 26th is Daytona and then I spend the next few months on the couch drinkin beer (ugh)

Melissa, you cannot (or should not )mix species, or don't ever put 2 strangers together. You need to quarantine for about 4-5-6 months. Box turtles are "semi" aquatic and enjoy a nice swim and they will spend hours in the water. You shouldn't put anything in with your Leo. Some species carry disease that doesn't hurt them, but 'could' kill a different species. This is not a tortoise it's a box turtle.....you want to make a kinda slanted aquarium, so he can either get in or out of the water. My box turtles fight to see who's gonna get the deepest water spot. Welcome, and keep asking questions...they like worms and fruit. Go to box turtles and you'll see what to feed it....
Thank you!!! I have no intentions of putting any other species or even other leopards with my dear little Leo. :) all plans are for this one to have his own enclosure if I end up caring for him.

You are so wonderfully knowledgeable, I appreciate it

M

Maggie Cummings

Buy one of those cheap plastic totes, add some top soil or orchid bark, put in a hide and some plants, box turtles are easy keepers. And they have great personalities. Here's a couple of my swimmersDSCN3079.JPG

oops! That's Roxie sleeping in.......

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I had a three toed box turtle. She was a lot of fun. Loved to eat worms and crickets. Indoors I kept her in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid bin and outdoors she had a 4 x 4 enclosure. Lots of humidity, lots of plants, and a good-sized water dish. Outdoors I used a plastic paint tray with rocks in the bottom for traction.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485653907.695685.jpg