Need help in identifying the sex of my star tortoises

indianstar.aj

Location (City and/or State)
Hyderabad,India
Hello guys I'm posting two pics of my two star tortoises nesd youe help in identifying their sex
This is of about 16cms in lemgth and weighs about 320 gms. Its 5 years old. Help me in determinging its sex and about what u feel abt it

Attachments

• P_20171011_174159.jpg
    P_20171011_174159.jpg
    960.1 KB · Views: 95
  • P_20171011_174140.jpg
    P_20171011_174140.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
  • P_20171011_174120.jpg
    P_20171011_174120.jpg
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 88

indianstar.aj

Hyderabad,India
This is the second one guys weighs about 220 gms and abt 13 cms in length.
Need to know its sex and also abt ur opinion on this

Attachments

• P_20171011_174243.jpg
    P_20171011_174243.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Both are males, and both are showing extreme signs of poor diet and care. The pyramiding is extreme and has gotten worse the last 2 years - so conditions are way too dry. Their shell growth is also stunted and looks like lack of UVB and/or calcium or perhaps too much poor calcium to phosphorus ratio items in the diet?

If you're interested, we could help you improve their overall heath if you would like some suggestions on improving their enclosure (conditions) and diet.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Agreed with Mark above, except I am not 100% convinced the first one is a male. The tail is big, but the way that the tip of the tail tapers abruptly after the cloaca makes me think it is a female. Perhaps the deformity makes the tail look odd. A more straight on shot of the tail showing the back part of the tortoises shell would help.

If you would like some help, please detail how you are caring for your tortoises. Including pictures of the housing and a description of what you are feeding them would help a lot.

indianstar.aj

Hyderabad,India
Both are males, and both are showing extreme signs of poor diet and care. The pyramiding is extreme and has gotten worse the last 2 years - so conditions are way too dry. Their shell growth is also stunted and looks like lack of UVB and/or calcium or perhaps too much poor calcium to phosphorus ratio items in the diet?

If you're interested, we could help you improve their overall heath if you would like some suggestions on improving their enclosure (conditions) and diet.

Thanks for the help offered. Would love to get assistance from you. Please help me according to indian conditions.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks for the help offered. Would love to get assistance from you. Please help me according to indian conditions.
@indianstar.aj "Indian conditions" are not different in setting up a tortoise enclosure. The only difference would be in the availability of items you may need. The problem I see most with people raising stars in "Indian conditions" is that they think since the Indian Star is from the area you live in, you don't have to worry about maintaining the conditions inside their enclosure. That is not true and leads to problems. The conditions inside a home, or on a patio, are very different than the conditions a star tortoise would choose in the wild. They seek out plant cover to hide beneath for security and the moist conditions they find there that also allows the plant to grow. The conditions under the plant is very different than the conditions out in the open. They have substrate to dig into to form a pallet. They can warm up quickly in the morning sun, yet feel secure. They browse on a large variety of different plants. Please read the post I did on how I raise and keep my stars. I spent a great deal of time explaining the needs in a proper setup. Pay attention to the temperature and humidity requirements and the need for a good substrate and plants to hide beneath. Make your enclosure look like a small version of the forest they would live in. Read this and come back with your questions...

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

indianstar.aj

Hyderabad,India

I really appreciate it. Can you please help me with the same?