Need help identifying baby...

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
Ehh, Reeves would have 3 keels down the shell instead of just the center keel.

The only two look-alikes, to my eye, would be a baby european pond turtle or blanding's turtle. But neither of those is local, so going with occam's razor here.
Yeah no wonder that’s what i was wondering it was missing those kneels in the shell. well i guess i was wrong?

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Yeah no wonder that’s what i was wondering it was missing those kneels in the shell. well i guess i was wrong?
No worries, I'm getting endless entertainment out of all the ID threads here recently, who ever knew chaco's could be so variable in color and shape, right? You can tell we're all tired of being stuck at home all the time. It's a bit funny that when someone pops in and asks how to care for their new tortoise, they get near the same answer from any one of a couple dozen different regulars - but if they need an ID they get at least 5 different species in a matter of minutes! I just hope we don't confuse the heck out of all the new people ;)

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
No worries, I'm getting endless entertainment out of all the ID threads here recently, who ever knew chaco's could be so variable in color and shape, right? You can tell we're all tired of being stuck at home all the time. It's a bit funny that when someone pops in and asks how to care for their new tortoise, they get near the same answer from any one of a couple dozen different regulars - but if they need an ID they get at least 5 different species in a matter of minutes! I just hope we don't confuse the heck out of all the new people ;)
yes i enjoy too, you might want to check this one out.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Santa Rosa is a little far north for an A pallida. North of SF we see A marmorata, but yours sure looks like a pallida.

Regardless the care is the same. However, they are technically illegal to own in Calif. The problem is that if you release it, there is a 99% chance it will not make it. To give it a chance it needs an area that is pretty secluded and has lots of plant growth and aquatic plants. The problem is in calif, that is also where bullfrogs have taken over. IF there are bullfrogs, the turtle is doomed. Bad enough to have to deal with bass and wading birds!

They are quite shy turtles but fairly easy to care for. They are mostly aquatic, especially as youngsters. Love worms and small insects, but will learn to eat pellets fairly quickly.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Well.. i knew it wasn't a snapper ☹ .. at least its a turtle lol im proud
Actually not a totally bad quess. Very few baby turtles have tails that long like a snapper. Normally a give-a-way for one of the old "Clemmys" genus turtles - wood, spotted, or pacific pond.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It was my friends birthday! A birthday turtle which MUST be good luck.
That turtle came to you for a reason. Keep it, head start it well, and don't tell anyone what it is. If you don't ever let it be exposed to any other turtles, you can release it in a suitable nearby body of water when its bigger and not so easy to swallow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please, everyone! The Forum does NOT condone illegal activity. It is illegal to have Actinemys marmorata, Western pond turtles, in your possession. The best thing for this baby is to call the state Fish and Wildlife and ask them. Even turtle rescues are not allowed to have these turtles unless the rescue has a hard to get Memorandum of Understanding.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Actually not a totally bad quess. Very few baby turtles have tails that long like a snapper. Normally a give-a-way for one of the old "Clemmys" genus turtles - wood, spotted, or pacific pond.
With the length of that tail, I was thinking snapper but I know nothing.

Calaveras

Sacramento area California
100% native pond turtle
Here is a pic of another from MENDOCINO area. I agree with Yvonne. F&W folks have no mercy in regards to this turtle. I would release it in a local stream or pond. It could have been dropped there by a bird, but these babies have great climbing ability. A 4 foot wall would be easy for it.
amarmjuv2me04.jpg

photo credit: www.californiaherps.com/turtles/images/amarmjuv2me04.jpg

L

LasTortugasNinja

Seen these guys (or a closely related subspecies) around the rice patties/delta area near Sacramento.