Need help deciding on new enclosure

Fish Breath

Location (City and/or State)
NY
image.jpgimage.jpgSo
So I’m planning on expanding to a large 4x4 ft enclosure for my RT, but I need help finding an ideal way to do lighting, should I do 4, 1 every quarter, should I do 3, 3 corners, 2, 2 corners, 2, cross corner, 2, centered, or just 1, anywhere really? Also how could I put in a small pool of water an inch deep and maybe 2x2 or 1.5x1.5 feet of area squared, as a practical area? And again, also what about plants? What are some ideal plants other than spider plants and prickly pears? And also what substrate? Repti bark, soil, sand, grasses, what combinations or maybe put spots of dirt like I did in my old cage (the picture)? Also I’m lastly curious if my old 1.5x3 ft enclosure was big enough for my russian tortoise...? This is getting quite long actually...Also just give me recommendations in general

Fish Breath

NY
View attachment 294551View attachment 294552So
So I’m planning on expanding to a large 4x4 ft enclosure for my RT, but I need help finding an ideal way to do lighting, should I do 4, 1 every quarter, should I do 3, 3 corners, 2, 2 corners, 2, cross corner, 2, centered, or just 1, anywhere really? Also how could I put in a small pool of water an inch deep and maybe 2x2 or 1.5x1.5 feet of area squared, as a practical area? And again, also what about plants? What are some ideal plants other than spider plants and prickly pears? And also what substrate? Repti bark, soil, sand, grasses, what combinations or maybe put spots of dirt like I did in my old cage (the picture)? Also I’m lastly curious if my old 1.5x3 ft enclosure was big enough for my russian tortoise...? This is getting quite long actually...Also just give me recommendations in general
Any suggestions on size?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sure, four feet by eight feet really makes a nice, full size enclosure. Remember, this is the only area your tort has to walk, climb, hide, fool around, hike, swim & pace. You will have more room to set up plants, water & food bowls, etc. In the “wild” there aren't any boundaries, & they walk & scrounge about.

Fish Breath

NY
Sure, four feet by eight feet really makes a nice, full size enclosure. Remember, this is the only area your tort has to walk, climb, hide, fool around, hike, swim & pace. You will have more room to set up plants, water & food bowls, etc. In the “wild” there aren't any boundaries, & they walk & scrounge about.
Wow I really haven’t thought of that...btw what’s the minimum an enclosure should be?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The minimum recommended is 4x8ft, just like Mark said.

Torts need ample space to walk because they cannot digest their food otherwise. They are also more inclined to constantly try to climb out if they feel too cramped.

4x8 is recommended as a minimum. Now consider you want to put a "pond" in...that is not walking space, so you really need to make it even larger, say 4x9 to accommodate a 2x2 pool.

You could build a pool in by having a terrace sort of separation between high dry ground, sloping down to the water. But then you are removing even more walking space, so to accommodate the terrace, the enclosure needs to be more like 4x12. After all, your tort shouldn't have to climb Mt. Everest after every drink and soak.

I wish you the best, but you are taking on a huge project.

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
If 4x4 is all you can do at the moment go for it.. Not everyone has enough room for a 4x8(me included) you should also consider open or closed for your enclosure.. closed is helpful for keeping in heat and humidity. For lighting you should have a long tube light preferably arcadia t5 12% or zoomed 10.0 T5.. Also need a basking light on one end )hot side). I have a couple cactus and a Boston fern in my enclosure. Substrate is a debate among everyone. I use bark, but coconut cor and bark are good choices.. There is much debate on soil because you need to use a sterilized soil with no fertilizer or additives.. I will post a picture of mine to give an idea. Best of luck with it all!
or
View attachment 294551View attachment 294552So

Attachments

• 20200516_173518.jpg
    20200516_173518.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20200516_173510.jpg
    20200516_173510.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 15896717190201326814096131495459.jpg
    15896717190201326814096131495459.jpg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 23

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So
  • 4x4 is better than what your tortoise is in, but bigger would be better. I also recommend 4x8 if possible.
  • There is no need for a pool in a Russian enclosure. They are not a water loving species. A 10" terra cotta saucer is all you'll need.
  • I wouldn't do a closed chamber for an adult Russian. Room temp and humidity should be fine for your ambient.
  • Put the basking lamp over to one side with a flat roach of some sort under it. You only need one basing area.
  • UV is optional. Probably a good idea in winter where you are, but you can make do with out it if you want.
  • I've never had any luck with plants indoors. They either eat it or trample it. I'm trying some pothos in pots right now.
  • The best substrate is fine grade orchid bark. Soil should never be used as a tortoise substrate, nor sand. No grass either. It won't live indoors, and comes with many complications.
  • Your previous enclosure was not big enough for your tortoise.
I'm re-doing the Russian care sheet right now, but here is the old one. All of this and more is explained in there.

Fish Breath

NY
If 4x4 is all you can do at the moment go for it.. Not everyone has enough room for a 4x8(me included) you should also consider open or closed for your enclosure.. closed is helpful for keeping in heat and humidity. For lighting you should have a long tube light preferably arcadia t5 12% or zoomed 10.0 T5.. Also need a basking light on one end )hot side). I have a couple cactus and a Boston fern in my enclosure. Substrate is a debate among everyone. I use bark, but coconut cor and bark are good choices.. There is much debate on soil because you need to use a sterilized soil with no fertilizer or additives.. I will post a picture of mine to give an idea. Best of luck with it all!
or
...surprisingly stylish

Fish Breath

NY
  • 4x4 is better than what your tortoise is in, but bigger would be better. I also recommend 4x8 if possible.
  • There is no need for a pool in a Russian enclosure. They are not a water loving species. A 10" terra cotta saucer is all you'll need.
  • I wouldn't do a closed chamber for an adult Russian. Room temp and humidity should be fine for your ambient.
  • Put the basking lamp over to one side with a flat roach of some sort under it. You only need one basing area.
  • UV is optional. Probably a good idea in winter where you are, but you can make do with out it if you want.
  • I've never had any luck with plants indoors. They either eat it or trample it. I'm trying some pothos in pots right now.
  • The best substrate is fine grade orchid bark. Soil should never be used as a tortoise substrate, nor sand. No grass either. It won't live indoors, and comes with many complications.
I'm re-doing the Russian care sheet right now, but here is the old one. All of this and more is explained in there.

I can’t fit too much at all...where could I get a 4x4 plastic tank?

Fish Breath

NY

At the same time, he’s usually either outside or walking around my house, so is it still ok to keep him in his small enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At the same time, he’s usually either outside or walking around my house, so is it still ok to keep him in his small enclosure?
They should never be walking around loose. This is a recipe for disaster. We see it all the time here. Just a few days ago we had a member asking what to do because her husband ran over the tortoise with a golf cart. Then she got mad and called me judgmental when I said to make an enclosure and keep the tortoise in it. Indoors, every person who does this thinks its safe and they watch very closely, until the day they realize its not safe and can't be made safe. We've seen all sorts of bad stuff happen. One lady squished her tortoises head in a door, broken legs from being kicked or stepped on, respiratory infections because its too cold, ingestion of monopoly pieces, necklaces, earrings, sewing needles, string, carpet, buttons, paperclips, etc...

Your tortoises enclosure needs to be large enough to meet its exercise needs. Outdoors too. Tortoises need a lot of room. They need much large enclosures than most other reptiles.

Fish Breath

NY
They should never be walking around loose. This is a recipe for disaster. We see it all the time here. Just a few days ago we had a member asking what to do because her husband ran over the tortoise with a golf cart. Then she got mad and called me judgmental when I said to make an enclosure and keep the tortoise in it. Indoors, every person who does this thinks its safe and they watch very closely, until the day they realize its not safe and can't be made safe. We've seen all sorts of bad stuff happen. One lady squished her tortoises head in a door, broken legs from being kicked or stepped on, respiratory infections because its too cold, ingestion of monopoly pieces, necklaces, earrings, sewing needles, string, carpet, buttons, paperclips, etc...

Your tortoises enclosure needs to be large enough to meet its exercise needs. Outdoors too. Tortoises need a lot of room. They need much large enclosures than most other reptiles.
I understand, but even if it’s a small backyard and I’m always watching him 24/7 AND I’m in the city with fences every way around?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I understand, but even if it’s a small backyard and I’m always watching him 24/7 AND I’m in the city with fences every way around?
Everyone who loses their tortoise said this same thing prior to losing their tortoise. You just turn your head for one second, and BOOM! Tortoise is gone. "I just looked away for a second to __________, and when I looked up he wasn't there anymore. He'd been sitting there for an hour without moving prior to that..."

It is a horrible, sickening, gut wrenching feeling when it happens, and it will happen eventually. I'm trying to save you from experiencing just how horrible it is, and save your tortoise from an unpleasant death out loose in the world. And Russian tortoises are the NUMBER ONE tortoise for pulling this disappearing act. They are fast, small, great climbers, very well camouflaged, and they dig into the dirt like a stingray in sand and disappear. I always joke that I think they can levitate when we aren't looking.

Fish Breath

NY
Everyone who loses their tortoise said this same thing prior to losing their tortoise. You just turn your head for one second, and BOOM! Tortoise is gone. "I just looked away for a second to __________, and when I looked up he wasn't there anymore. He'd been sitting there for an hour without moving prior to that..."

It is a horrible, sickening, gut wrenching feeling when it happens, and it will happen eventually. I'm trying to save you from experiencing just how horrible it is, and save your tortoise from an unpleasant death out loose in the world. And Russian tortoises are the NUMBER ONE tortoise for pulling this disappearing act. They are fast, small, great climbers, very well camouflaged, and they dig into the dirt like a stingray in sand and disappear. I always joke that I think they can levitate when we aren't looking.
Ok I won’t take him out anymore

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok I won’t take him out anymore
Take him out as much as you want, but put him in a secure enclosure. Outside every day is excellent, weather permitting, but they need to be contained in a dedicated escape proof enclosure.

Fish Breath

NY
Take him out as much as you want, but put him in a secure enclosure. Outside every day is excellent, weather permitting, but they need to be contained in a dedicated escape proof enclosure.
Oh yes! I filled up every crack in the fence with concrete and literally built a wall from concrete alongside. Now it’s definitely safe. Put some rocks under for good measure