Need help asap!!!! :'( (habitat is broken)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
I just got home from running and I don't know what happened but my stuff was all over the floor and a mess. The tubs are broken. I think.the weight that was in them when they fell made them crack.

I found my little guys thankfully unharmed while I was cleaning it up but I am now cageless. Its all in the dumpster, im so upset. I don't understand how this happened. They were on a sturdy dresser that's still there. It's like they got pushed off. :/ but no one was here.

There new cage is curing. It's only been a day since I finished it. It has been outside the hole time airing out.....what should I do??? I don't even have a temp cage :/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Need help asap!!!! :'(

Bathtub? Metal washtub? I am sure they can handle it temporarily

12 kids
8 grandkids
2 wolves
2 dogs
1 sulcata

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
RE: Need help asap!!!! :'(

run down to wal-mart and buy a plastic container. for less than $10 you should be able to find something to last until your new enclousre is done, and then you have a back-up for the future.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: Need help asap!!!! :'(

Plastic tubs seem to work great for everyone. you can get a 50+ gallon tub basically anywhere; lowes, home depot, target etc..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

EKLC

5 Year Member
RE: Need help asap!!!! :'(

Put your tortoise in a cardboard box and put it somewhere safe and warmish. That will be fine for a day or two.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Don't have transportation. I have them outside for now. I just don't get how it happened. Urgh my luck has gone down the tubes lately

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of enclosure was it? No dog or cat that could have knocked it over? If you can get them outside for UVB, don't worry about giving it to them while they are inside until their enclosure is done. This way any box even a clothes basket will suffice until the enclosure is done.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
It was two plastic bins attached together. I do get them outside so they are if I was just kinda having a freakout I guess. No no dogs or cats in the house. That's y im baffeled

Also about outside. They always hide outside. They never really come out and get sun :/ is that normal

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My boxie hides outside too. I heard they still get sun even in the shade so I would not worry about it. Sounds like you have enough to worry about!!.....I am sorry about your bad luck lately!! I sure hope your day gets better!!:)

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
How old are your torts? The younger they are the more likely they will hide a lot when outside, its a natural reflex for them to hide from predators while small and vulnerable. Give them time and they will realize that they are safe in your yard and will explore more. And with them outside during the day I am sure a simple cardboard box or small tub will be fine for a few days, its not luxurious but they are getting food and outdoor sun so I wouldn't worry about them having to sleep in a cardboard box until your new cage is set.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Yeah then are young. Only like 7months.

Out of curiosity is there a way to cure the new cage faster then a week of just letting it air out? Just curious

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Not that I am aware of but maybe a more experienced builder can give more insight. I usually consider it cured when it is no longer wet or sticky and there is absolutely no smell coming from it with my nose right against it, I give it another day and then fill it up.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You can take a dresser draw, empty it out, and whala, you've got a temp enclosure! They can even stay in that for a week! Years, and years ago, when people didn't have the money to buy a crib or bassinet, they would take a draw from a large dresser, put cushion and blankets in it, and the new baby had a crib. Your torts too can have a quick sleeping quarters...

Status
Not open for further replies.