Need heat!

Kadels

5 Year Member
I have an outdoor enclosure for my 3-legged Sulcata. The enclosure is quite large. It is insulated, but there is no floor – just concrete. I have used an oil filled heater, but it just does not keep it warm enough. I have searched through a few threads, but have not really found a good solution. I live in north central Texas - it gets cold, but stays above freezing most of the winter (usually). Suggestions?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Please post pics of the said enclosure as well as your tort.

You'd better take care: torts are cold-blooded and therefore need relatively high temperatures.

@Yvonne G @Tom @JoesMum please help. Many thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have an outdoor enclosure for my 3-legged Sulcata. The enclosure is quite large. It is insulated, but there is no floor – just concrete. I have used an oil filled heater, but it just does not keep it warm enough. I have searched through a few threads, but have not really found a good solution. I live in north central Texas - it gets cold, but stays above freezing most of the winter (usually). Suggestions?

We need more info. Dimensions?

Concrete will suck the heat right out too. You might have to make an insulated floor. That should be pretty easy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you have a semi sealed entrance? Like a mud flap or plastic strips?
Most of heating an enclosure comes down to not letting the heat out and keeping out drafts.
In the photo, one of my heated night boxes is behind that flap on the left.

Attachments

• 20170201_153702.jpg
    20170201_153702.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16

Kadels

5 Year Member
We need more info. Dimensions?

Concrete will suck the heat right out too. You might have to make an insulated floor. That should be pretty easy.

As I recall when we built it, the exterior is about 6 feet wide by 4 feet high. The interior would be a bit smaller. It was built about two years ago. It seemed OK that winter, that last winter it was not staying warm enough. There is insulation in between two layers of wood all around the exterior. There are plastic strips covering the entryway. Chuck Norris the Tortoise is 5 1/2 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_2847.JPG
    IMG_2847.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2848.JPG
    IMG_2848.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2849.JPG
    IMG_2849.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't tell how well sealed it is in the pics. If its too drafty, you won't be able to keep it warm enough, so I'd check that first.

Next problem is that you are heating 4' of airspace when the tortoise only needs about 18-20" of it heated. Heat rises into the empty space above the tortoise.

Biggest problem I see is a concrete floor. I'd lay down some 2x4s, put rigid foam insulation between it all, and then cover it with plywood. That should offer plenty of insulation. If you wanted to get more fancy, you could build a regular floor on the bottom.

A small fan might also help circulate the warm air and push it back down to the floor, but if the enclosure is drafty, this might make things worse.

Kadels

5 Year Member
I can't tell how well sealed it is in the pics. If its too drafty, you won't be able to keep it warm enough, so I'd check that first.

What is safe to use for sealing?