zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 310897can anyone offer me any tips or advice?
This tortoise appears to be in a good amount of distress. Has it been eating or not? What is the temperature of the enclosure where it is being kept? How long have you had it?

If you state what the symptoms are and why you think you need advice, it is easier to provide you with good information.

savanna123

Location (City and/or State)
uk
im not quite sure how to bond with them I have never owned anything like this so could really use some tips and tricks to make sure they are happy with being handled

zovick

10 Year Member!
im not quite sure how to bond with them I have never owned anything like this so could really use some tips and tricks to make sure they are happy with being handled
Tortoises are not happy being handled and do not form bonds with humans as mammals and birds do. They will recognize you as a source of food after a while, though.

savanna123

uk
This tortoise appears to be in a good amount of distress. Has it been eating or not? What is the temperature of the enclosure where it is being kept? How long have you had it?

If you state what the symptoms are and why you think you need advice, it is easier to provide you with good information.
I only got them yesterday one just want to make sure everything I am doing is the best for them the tank is just sitting over 23 c or so they don't seem anxious but I don't want to scare them so haven't handle them yet how would I but one won't open there eyes

zovick

10 Year Member!
I only got them yesterday one just want to make sure everything I am doing is the best for them the tank is just sitting over 23 c or so they don't seem anxious but I don't want to scare them so haven't handle them yet how would I but one won't open there eyes
Well, that is one problem. It's too cool for the tortoise to be active. These tortoises need to be at about 30C to 32C in order to properly digest their food. Get a 75 watt incandescent floodlight bulb and put it over the enclosure at a height which causes the spot under it to reach close to 36C to 37C. Then put the tortoise at the edge of that lighted spot to warm up. After it warms up, it will feel better and should become more active.

After it has warmed, then you should soak it in warm water of about 30C or 32C for about 20 minutes so it can drink and keep hydrated. Don't soak it in the warm water before you bring the tortoise up to the right temperature by warming up its enclosure so you don't shock it going from 23 to 32C all at once in the water bath. Use water no deeper than where the lower shell meets the tortoise's chin area. Then watch it to be sure it doesn't let its head droop into the water and drown since it looks a bit weak.

You said "them" when discussing the tortoise. Do you have more than one?

Find and read the Russian Tortoise care sheet on this site for more information on what to do.

savanna123

uk
Well, that is one problem. It's too cool for the tortoise to be active. These tortoises need to be at about 30C to 32C in order to properly digest their food. Get a 75 watt incandescent floodlight bulb and put it over the enclosure at a height which causes the spot under it to reach close to 36C to 37C. Then put the tortoise at the edge of that lighted spot to warm up. After it warms up, it will feel better and should become more active.

After it has warmed, then you should soak it in warm water of about 30C or 32C for about 20 minutes so it can drink and keep hydrated. Don't soak it in the warm water before you bring the tortoise up to the right temperature by warming up its enclosure so you don't shock it going from 23 to 32C all at once in the water bath. Use water no deeper than where the lower shell meets the tortoise's chin area. Then watch it to be sure it doesn't let its head droop into the water and drown since it looks a bit weak.

You said "them" when discussing the tortoise. Do you have more than one?

Find and read the Russian Tortoise care sheet on this site for more information on what to do.
yes I have two

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
yes I have two
You should never keep 2 together even if they are the same size, same species, etc. They are solitary animals. Groups of 3 or more sometimes work, but not 2. It can be very stressful and deadly. Theres a thread on here why you don't keep to. Give it a read ? it'll explain much better.

Read this:

Its the care guide he mentioned.

Most information given on tortoises are wrong and/or is old info. Most pet stores will also sell you things that aren't good for tortoise because they don't know any better. The care sheet was written by someone who has decades of experience and has done side by side comparisons to insure the animals get the best care for a healthy happy life.

Also, like stated, they won't ever be 'happy' to be handled. They might just tolerate it better after a while.

Read up all those threads and make the proper changes and it'll help you out a lot ?

Good luck