Need advice

Hai

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson az
So I just moved my 2 torts outside to live. I made a pretty decent size area for them in the back yard. But they haven't come out to eat for 3 days now. I tried moving them to the food but they got back into there sleep areas. Last time I kept them outside to clean there inside enclosure they wouldn't eat until I put them back. They will eat right away if I put them back But now there gonna have to permanently stay outside. I thought about putting there inside enclosure outside as like a house since there used to it and maybe will eat in it. Any advice would be appreciated

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I just moved my 2 torts outside to live. I made a pretty decent size area for them in the back yard. But they haven't come out to eat for 3 days now. I tried moving them to the food but they got back into there sleep areas. Last time I kept them outside to clean there inside enclosure they wouldn't eat until I put them back. They will eat right away if I put them back But now there gonna have to permanently stay outside. I thought about putting there inside enclosure outside as like a house since there used to it and maybe will eat in it. Any advice would be appreciated
That is a very shocking way to do it. What size tortoises? Do they have an insulated and heated night box? I see your night temps are in the low 50s to mid 40s for the next few days.

I suggest setting the indoor enclosure back up, and gradually desensitizing them to the great out doors a little at a time. Start with and hour a day for a few days, then two, then keep adding time. Once they are out there all day, and used to it, they can start spending the night in their heated box too.

Hai

Tucson az
Yea there area is heated. I'll have to do that and hopefully they get used to it. I know there at least 15". They only spent the night outside before when I cleaned there enclosure. I always let the enclosure sit outside for a day or 2 bc I would do a deep clean on it. Always seems to get infested with springtails no matter how much I try to keep it clean. Idk where they come from but after a week they start popping up...
That is a very shocking way to do it. What size tortoises? Do they have an insulated and heated night box? I see your night temps are in the low 50s to mid 40s for the next few days.

I suggest setting the indoor enclosure back up, and gradually desensitizing them to the great out doors a little at a time. Start with and hour a day for a few days, then two, then keep adding time. Once they are out there all day, and used to it, they can start spending the night in their heated box too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yea there area is heated. I'll have to do that and hopefully they get used to it. I know there at least 15". They only spent the night outside before when I cleaned there enclosure. I always let the enclosure sit outside for a day or 2 bc I would do a deep clean on it. Always seems to get infested with springtails no matter how much I try to keep it clean. Idk where they come from but after a week they start popping up...
What is the temperature inside their heated box? How are you heating it? Are the two of them living together in the same enclosure?

Hai

Tucson az
What is the temperature inside their heated box? How are you heating it? Are the two of them living together in the same enclosure?

I currently put there inside enclosure outside and they went right in it and started to eat. I tried looking for your night box thread but im more of a picture person. I have 2 CHE by there box but i know thats not the best thing. I been Going outside late at night and checking the temp and it was at 75. Im trying to find a better way to keep the heat in. Was thinking of making an insulated box with a heated panels but im not sure if it will work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Hai Here are the heated night box threads with pictures:

https://tortoiseforum.ohttps://tortoiseforum.org/threads/here-is-the-4x8-rendering-of-toms-night-box-with-exploded-view.97697/rg/threads/what-youll-need-to-build-a-night-box.171435/

The double door one will work great in your situation so you can separate them, but only have to build, maintain and heat one box.