Need advice on providing animals to international conservsation group

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi all,
I need some advice from experienced keepers! I've been contacted by an Israeli conservation group wanting to purchase some of my animals for a breeding group. They are willing to pay and provide shipping permits and cover expenses.

I have no experience shipping internationally and honestly, it scares the heck out of me! Additionally, I have no idea how to vet this group.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First off are you sure it's legit and they are not going too rip you off? Be careful. Then I would talk to Kelly, (tortadise). I would think he may be able to help. Good luck.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
First off are you sure it's legit and they are not going too rip you off? Be careful. Then I would talk to Kelly, (tortadise). I would think he may be able to help. Good luck.

This would be my advise, too. My mind is thinking this will not be a legit thing.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
wellington said:

Thanks for the reference. I'll contact Kelly. I emailed an extensive list of questions and he emailed back with extensive answers. He's been published in academic work for 30 years and he's offered references (both personal and professional) in the US. He's still not asking for money and gave me an extensive reason (that made sense) of why he's contacting me. And why he's interested in my Redfoots.

No, I have not finished researching and asking all the questions I have yet but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say it appears legit at this point.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Terese:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why did they contact you? There are many more well-known redfoot keepers in the world who have web sites, for instance, like Terry - redfootnerd.

It sounds fishy to me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Just as with anything else, be diligent in your search...perhaps the person has a certain thing the are looking for and yours fits...BUT please check all of your resources (not the ones this party is offering you, but find your own route to double check this party...)

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Yvonne G said:
Hi Terese:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why did they contact you? There are many more well-known redfoot keepers in the world who have web sites, for instance, like Terry - redfootnerd.

It sounds fishy to me.

No offense taken. As stated in my previous post he gave me an extensive reason to why me? that made sense. I'm not prepaired to state or discuss anything he's specificlly said a this point or decisions I have made or not made.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Gotta admit that I'm wondering why an Israeli conservation group would want to be involved with a tropical species like redfoots, as opposed to a semi-arid area tortoise, one that would thrive in Israel w/o extensive changes to the environment, like Egyptians...

Plus, Egyptians, being on the rarer side of the spectrum, and, in fact, critically endangered in the wild, would logically be of greater interest to a conservation group than a very commonly bred tropical species...

Something to think about...