Need advice on proper care for my Sulcata.

M

Musa Nathan

The Sahel Zone is no real desert and all the other habitats where Sulcatas live are no real deserts. That`s a fact !

Yes of course because they have spread outside the desert to the near areas or have been introduced.

Let’s say the live in very hot climates...

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Guys let’s advice us properly...the first thing anyone should know or understand is that whatever tortoise you are keeping One should understand it’s origin & wildlife environment.

Most tortoise adapt to new environment with a lot of adjusting from keeper.

Sulcatas are desert tortoise end of story.

You can get away keeping one if your place is small & moving indoors in winter. Wherever, whatever all Sulcatas burrow...very important. They cannot do without burrowing or you shorten life expectancy. Their favorite food in captivity is pumpkins.

We can tell that this Sulcata is not happy with its environment because it is showing signs of escaping...I hope that floor is not concrete...

You should never Never keep Sulcatas indoors 24/7...
I think people labeling them desert species, is why so many of them have been raised dry over the years. Until I found this forum, I was under the same understanding that they were desert species and I was raising him dry as a popcorn fart. If you look at a lot of the older captive tortoises, they are very pyramid from being raised in dry desert like habitat. Some so bad they look like they were crossbred with a stegosaurus

Bee62

Germany
Yes of course because they have spread outside the desert to the near areas or have been introduced.

Let’s say the live in very hot climates...
Very hot climate is correct but it does not mean that it is a desert. All these habitats of sulcatas have dry periods and moonsun periods. The tortoises hatch in the moonsun time where it is very wet and warm all around and greens are available. The young tortoises spend most of the time a day in warm and humid burrows. They only leave these burrows to eat.
They pee and poop in their burrows to keep them humid ! And they stay in these humid burrows when it is getting dry again outside, only leaving for food.
It is necessary to keep young sulcatas ( hatchlings ) in this warm and humdid conditions in captivity or they get pyramided.
To keep them in "desert conditions" makes them sick and die.
So we always say that they are no desert species and can not be kept in desert conditions.

M

Musa Nathan

I think people labeling them desert species, is why so many of them have been raised dry over the years. Until I found this forum, I was under the same understanding that they were desert species and I was raising him dry as a popcorn fart. If you look at a lot of the older captive tortoises, they are very pyramid from being raised in dry desert like habitat. Some so bad they look like they were crossbred with a stegosaurus

Feeding is a different story altogether....the habitat must be spot on first...any tortoise needs a balanced diet...
Keepers work backwards that’s wrong...I would first look at my environment first then research a tortoise that suits your environment...not to just buy a tortoise you love then experiment...wrong.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Feeding is a different story altogether....the habitat must be spot on first...any tortoise needs a balanced diet...
Keepers work backwards that’s wrong...I would first look at my environment first then research a tortoise that suits your environment...not to just buy a tortoise you love then experiment...wrong.
Chuck, the best advice I can give you is just follow Toms care sheet that he posted, get a bigger enclosure. Your tortoise looks pretty healthy for the most part, I think just doing those two things would be a great start, and you will have a super happy tortoise.

M

Musa Nathan

Chuck, the best advice I can give you is just follow Toms care sheet that he posted, get a bigger enclosure. Your tortoise looks pretty healthy for the most part, I think just doing those two things would be a great start, and you will have a super happy tortoise.

I think Tom is saying exactly what I’m saying but in a different way...Jay...it’s good to give Chuck broad advice....

Bambam1989

East Texas
Popcorn Fart hahaha!!! I haven't heard that term in years![emoji1]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No...or thou some confirm from Sudan...this is a desert animal...please go to Kamp Kenan on YouTube he has a lot of stuff on Sulcats...they are the most difficult tortoise to keep...
Kamp Kenan gives out incorrect information about raising sulcatas.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I think Tom is saying exactly what I’m saying but in a different way...Jay...it’s good to give Chuck broad advice....
Sulcatas do hatch in the rainy season. This lasts about 3-4 months, tortoises have lots of greens to eat during this time and so they grow. The humidity helps them grow smoothly during this time. Once it starts drying out the sulcatas begin to aestivate, they spend most of the day deep in their burrows, only wandering out to eat for short periods. They grow very little during the dry season.
As keepers we want to recreate the environment/season that they thrive in while they are young. Which is the hot and humid rainy season. Because we provide the monsoon conditions suggested by @Tom caresheets, the torts grow quickly. Once a sulcata gets to large to keep inside it usually has naturally slowed some on growth. Their body mass is able to hold stable temps for longer periods. As long as a heated hide/ house is provided that they can retreat back to, they can live very happy, healthy lives with in colder areas.
An important thing to remember with this large tortoise is that they need room to move. They travel several miles in a day in the wild, searching for food, and possible mates. That instinct to travel is something that needs to be considered with sulcatas, if they don't have room to walk and explore, it drives them crazy. They also need to have an area where they can hide, a safe place. This, along with giving them away to escape the blistering hot days and cool nights, is why they dig. If you provide an area that is heated to a suitable temp and mimics the secure feeling they would get from a burrow, they will be happier and therefore healthier. Instinct does drive them to dig though and should be something a owner should expect.. hope my ranting made sense.

M

Musa Nathan

Sulcatas do hatch in the rainy season. This lasts about 3-4 months, tortoises have lots of greens to eat during this time and so they grow. The humidity helps them grow smoothly during this time. Once it starts drying out the sulcatas begin to aestivate, they spend most of the day deep in their burrows, only wandering out to eat for short periods. They grow very little during the dry season.
As keepers we want to recreate the environment/season that they thrive in while they are young. Which is the hot and humid rainy season. Because we provide the monsoon conditions suggested by @Tom caresheets, the torts grow quickly. Once a sulcata gets to large to keep inside it usually has naturally slowed some on growth. Their body mass is able to hold stable temps for longer periods. As long as a heated hide/ house is provided that they can retreat back to, they can live very happy, healthy lives with in colder areas.
An important thing to remember with this large tortoise is that they need room to move. They travel several miles in a day in the wild, searching for food, and possible mates. That instinct to travel is something that needs to be considered with sulcatas, if they don't have room to walk and explore, it drives them crazy. They also need to have an area where they can hide, a safe place. This, along with giving them away to escape the blistering hot days and cool nights, is why they dig. If you provide an area that is heated to a suitable temp and mimics the secure feeling they would get from a burrow, they will be happier and therefore healthier. Instinct does drive them to dig though and should be something a owner should expect.. hope my ranting made sense.

Totally agree with you...you said the same but diplomatically...I’m more brutal honest...

Turbo'smom

Raleigh, NC
Ok I just read every word of this post and got almost nothing out of it except nerious over all the snappy comments. Chuck C as well as myself need real help. I love my Turbo and can tell Chuck C does as well but am thinking I just can't handle a 5 year old sulcata living in NC. No one really answered the question of can he stay outside in the winter and how do we make this happen. I would be terrified leaving him outside when it is 15 degrees outside but yet some of you seem to think he would be happier....I am confused. I know for a fact that he is not happy right now and he has not come out of his hide for over a 3 weeks. No matter how warm/hot I keep his bedroom somehow he knows its winter and he has completely shut down to the point I think he is hibernating. I have dragged him out and put food right in front of him but he only takes a couple of bits...takes a pee...then goes right back to his hide to sleep. Please advise and if that advice is to give him to someone that can better take care of him in a warmer climate I am willing to listen. Please give advice only if you have experience with this situation...thank you!!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok I just read every word of this post and got almost nothing out of it except nerious over all the snappy comments. Chuck C as well as myself need real help. I love my Turbo and can tell Chuck C does as well but am thinking I just can't handle a 5 year old sulcata living in NC. No one really answered the question of can he stay outside in the winter and how do we make this happen. I would be terrified leaving him outside when it is 15 degrees outside but yet some of you seem to think he would be happier....I am confused. I know for a fact that he is not happy right now and he has not come out of his hide for over a 3 weeks. No matter how warm/hot I keep his bedroom somehow he knows its winter and he has completely shut down to the point I think he is hibernating. I have dragged him out and put food right in front of him but he only takes a couple of bits...takes a pee...then goes right back to his hide to sleep. Please advise and if that advice is to give him to someone that can better take care of him in a warmer climate I am willing to listen. Please give advice only if you have experience with this situation...thank you!!

As long as you have a heated hide box, he should be fine.
Sulcatas do not hibernate, so that’s option is out, lol.
What are your temps?

Bambam1989

East Texas
If you provide a heated box that the tort can retreat to it is fine. You shut them in at night to sleep also.
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/88966/
This is one of Tom's threads on a build, does it help any?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I reread the post, while we did go off topic a little bit and turn into a humidity debate. It look like a lot of his questions were answered, enclosure was addressed, diet was addressed. It looks like a lot of real help was offered. I hope everything works out for you and turbo.