Need Advice on basking area.

Harpy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, Oregon
I am getting 75 gal tank for my diamondback terrapin. I want to use the plastic egg crate as the land area and basking platform. What is best and easiest way to attach this plastic panel to the aquarium? Needs to be removable for tank cleaning.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Billie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since the "egg crate" has holes in it, it would be fairly easy to fashion wire hooks. Wrap wire through the holes in each of the four corners, then straight up to the top of the aquarium and bend it over to hook over the edge.

Harpy

5 Year Member
Eugene, Oregon
Okay, Had the idea of using fishing line with hook it to the lip of the aquarium, but my ideas do not usually work like they do in my brain...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I don't like the egg crate for basking. It's not a natural feeling surface to sit on. I much prefer stacking rocks or using a log. There are also plastic basking platforms sold in pet stores and online, depending upon the size of your terrapin. If it's large, you can even use a cinder block on its side and put a flat rock on top of that. The cells in the cinder block makes a nice hide for your turtle.

Also, keep in mind, the terrapin really should have some salt added to the water. They are extremely susceptible to skin an shell infections without it. Putting them in fresh water to eat gives them good hydration and helps keep your tank clean too.

Harpy

5 Year Member
Eugene, Oregon
keep in mind, the terrapin really should have some salt added to the water. They are extremely susceptible to skin an shell infections without it.

Learned this the hard way. The breeder I got her from, never used salt, and I followed his advice...And I have been fighting terrible shell issues for the last year. Healed enough to finally put her back into large tank.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Learned this the hard way. The breeder I got her from, never used salt, and I followed his advice...And I have been fighting terrible shell issues for the last year. Healed enough to finally put her back into large tank.
Glad you are an experienced terrapin owner. It's amazing how beautiful these turtles are. It too bad so many profess they can adapt to fresh water only to scar up their shells from problems the saltier water keeps them free of

Harpy

5 Year Member
Eugene, Oregon
Experienced as in learning all over again. Got this little girl about 5 years ago and have been fighting to get her beautiful shell back to healthy every since.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
If it's large, you can even use a cinder block on its side and put a flat rock on top of that. The cells in the cinder block makes a nice hide for your turtle.

Is there risk that the cinder block will scratch up their shells?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I use the cinder block as underwater support and creating a hide and have no problem with abrasion with the turtle underwater. I use a smoother rock on top for the turtle to crawl up on where he may be dragging his shell over it. I have in temporary tubs used just the cinder block and never had a problem but do prefer smoother surfaces for long term

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I don't know much about turtles but am looking to get a DBT. is a basking area all they need or do they need a dry land area separate from the water?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
A DBT is one of the tougher turtles to keep in captivity. I would not recommend it to someone without a lot of experience and willing to create a fairly specialized setup

They are one of the most personable and beautiful of turtles but not for beginners in my opinion

Fresno, CA
I don't like the egg crate for basking. It's not a natural feeling surface to sit on. ....
I agree with that..... and depending how far above the water the egg crate is placed (if you use it)... the water still can keep the area very wet.. not allowing them to dry out their shells. Well, in my particular setup I have an airstone that happens to be located near the "above tank" dock area and completely bubbles and wets the underside so I use a ceramic tile :).... however..... the egg crate material is a great 'dock ramp' to use to get to the bask area... for larger turtles, as it gives their heavy little bodies a good grip to get out..... I had a plexi one with that artificial grass on it that my one turtle thinks she needs to destroy..... so that came out real fast...

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Best bet is build or find a nicw piece of log where she can climb up on to bask. Also, if you are handy, make an above basking island out of pvc, and old tank like a 10g. Even wood works.. I used plywood for mine.