Need Advice: Fogger vs. Mister for Russian Hatchlings

Location (City and/or State)
Omaha, Nebraska
I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the humidity up in my tortoise enclosures. I have three Russian hatchlings and, while I realize that adult Russians don't require high humidity, I need to keep the humidity up for my hatchlings until they grow to adulthood.

Initially, I was simply using an Exo Terra Pump Sprayer and manually spraying down Sphagnum Moss that I have around the edges of each enclosure. Unfortunately, this is somewhat time consuming and needs to be done multiple times per day in order to keep my humidity near the 70% mark.

I recently purchased a fogger and I have been using that for the last several days. It actually does a really great job of keep the humidity near 60% under the heat lights and close to 80% in the rest of the enclosure. The downside is that it makes it just a tiny bit foggy in the enclosures, which doesn't seem like that would be an appropriate environment for tortoises from an arid region. Unfortunately, if I turn down the fogger so that it's not visibly lingering in the enclosure, then the humidity doesn't reach high enough levels.

I'm contemplating switching over to an automatic misting system rather than the fogger. The only thing I don't like about the misting systems is that it requires that the bedding is regularly being sprayed so that it's almost always damp, which again doesn't seem like it would be good for tortoises from an arid region. Additionally, I wouldn't think it would be good for the tortoise to constantly be wet from walking around their enclosure, which the fogger system prevents.

Can anyone provide their own personal experiences between misters and foggers and maybe advise on which would provide a more "appropriate" environment for Russian hatchlings? Any help is appreciated!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You'd be surprised what covering the enclosure does for humidity. No need for foggers or misters, just cover it and wet the substrate.