Need advice! Clicking noise? No other symptoms?

Speedy101

Location (City and/or State)
North East England
Hello,
Speedy has been outside all summer long getting natural sunlight but now he is in his greenhouse enclosure, which is insulated and has 2 heaters in it and soil warming cables. His temperatures at the moment are 36c under his floodlight, 24c ambient and 19 on the cool side( are these last 2 temperatures a little low?). He has an Arcadia 12% T5 HO Uvb strip with a reflector which is 20inches( 50cm) above him.He is on sterilised top soil as a substrate. So now onto the problem. Last week I listened to his breathing as I often check when I bring him inside to sleep, I heard little crackles but no other symptoms occurred over the next couple of days,he was still wandering doing his own thing.He was going in and out of the temperature gradients fine.However I noticed then he was eating less. So I took him to the vets, an exotic one. I know vets aren’t known for dealing with tortoises the best way but was the only vet who dealt with reptiles, he has a few of his own. Anyways he checked his airways, weight etc and the airways were clear with no mucus and his weight was perfect. The vet however did say he could hear the noise I was on about and he was a bit wheezy.He gave him a antibiotic shot that would last a course of a week( not sure what antibiotic).This may not have been the smartest thing to do as it was more of a let’s give him this so the crackling doesn’t turn into an R.I. Speedy now feels a bit down, I’m not sure if it’s a result of the antibiotic or the crackling. I increased the heat of his basking bulb slightly to try and fight anything that was going on. At the moment he is not eating and struggling to go to the toilet.I know antibiotic can kill the good gut bacteria and this is the result of that most likely.Ive been giving lots of warm baths to counteract this and managed to get him to have a few bites of cucumber.However the crackling remains! How should I proceed? I also uploaded a post in the enclosure thread about maybe switching speedy to a tortoise table but have no replies as of yet. Thank you :)

Last edited:

Speedy101

Location (City and/or State)
North East England
Hello,
Speedy has been outside all summer long getting natural sunlight but now he is in his greenhouse enclosure, which is insulated and has 2 heaters in it and soil warming cables. His temperatures at the moment are 36c under his floodlight, 24c ambient and 19 on the cool side( are these last 2 temperatures a little low?). He has an Arcadia 12% T5 HO Uvb strip with a reflector which is 20inches( 50cm) above him.He is on sterilised top soil as a substrate. So now onto the problem. Last week I listened to his breathing as I often check when I bring him inside to sleep, I heard little crackles but no other symptoms occurred over the next couple of days,he was still wandering doing his own thing.He was going in and out of the temperature gradients fine.However I noticed then he was eating less. So I took him to the vets, an exotic one. I know vets aren’t known for dealing with tortoises the best way but was the only vet who dealt with reptiles, he has a few of his own. Anyways he checked his airways, weight etc and the airways were clear with no mucus and his weight was perfect. The vet however did say he could hear the noise I was on about and he was a bit wheezy.He gave him a antibiotic shot that would last a course of a week( not sure what antibiotic).This may not have been the smartest thing to do as it was more of a let’s give him this so the crackling doesn’t turn into an R.I. Speedy now feels a bit down, I’m not sure if it’s a result of the antibiotic or the crackling. I increased the heat of his basking bulb slightly to try and fight anything that was going on. At the moment he is not eating and struggling to go to the toilet.I know antibiotic can kill the good gut bacteria and this is the result of that most likely.Ive been giving lots of warm baths to counteract this and managed to get him to have a few bites of cucumber.However the crackling remains! How should I proceed? I also uploaded a post in the enclosure thread about maybe switching speedy to a tortoise table but have no replies as of yet. Thank you :)
Speedy seems to be on the mend, gradually eating more, he ate lots today so I’m happier about the situation?