Need Advice about Heating Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

melcloud

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Hello. Could anyone please give me some advice about the Stanfield heat pad? I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I can't feel any warmth coming from it. I have done all of the usual....checked plugs and outlets. I don't have any kind of thermometer. Are you supposed to be able to feel warmth from the pad?

Thanks to everyone on this site. You all have been so helpful. I just adopted an 8 year old Sulcata tortoise a couple of months ago. His name is Elvis. We live in Tucson, AZ so it doesn't get terribly cold. But I am worried that I might have to do something different with the heating pad. If anyone lives in Tucson please let me know what you do to keep your tortie warm at night. Should I also be using some kind of light?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi melcloud:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name?

If you aren't using a controller (rheostat) and your pad doesn't get too hot to touch, there's something wrong with it. Is it new enough that you can take it back and get your money back or trade it in for another one?

If I plug mine directly into the socket, it heats up way too hot to touch.

In the meantime, you can offer your new tortoise a light to sit under and warm up. If he gets outside regularly, you can just use a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb. Raise or lower it until you have it about 100-115 degrees directly under the light. At night I use another light fixture with a black light bulb in it. But you can also use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night for heat with no light. At 8 years of age, he can go down to room temperature or about 65 degrees or so at night. Any cooler than that and you'll need to supplement the night time heat with either a black light or a CHE.

melcloud

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
emysemys said:
Hi melcloud:

Thank-you, Yvonne, for the helpful information. I went to PetSmart yesterday and purchased a CHE. And I'm going to try to send the pad back to Osbourne Industries for a replacement.

Melanie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Melanie:

Be sure to check out the socket you were plugging the pad into first before you send it back. Make sure the socket works.

I've found Osborne Industries to be very nice folks to deal with. I'd be willing to bet if you call them and let them know the pad doesn't work and how new it is, they'll even pay the shipping for you to send it back to them.

melcloud

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I spoke with "Mike" at Osbourne Industries via email. You are right. They are great! I am mailing the pad back tomorrow. I did try to plug the pad into four other outlets. No luck. Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.