Need 2 Find A Home!

Kirin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, CA
thumbnail_image000000.jpg thumbnail_image000000.jpg thumbnail_image000000 (1).jpg thumbnail_image000000 (4).jpg thumbnail_image000000 (2).jpg thumbnail_image000000 (2).jpg This guy was found by my boyfriend coworker. He knows I have tortoises so wants to give him to me. He found him in his yard when he was mowing. He did run the turtle over because he didn't know he was there. You can see he has a little mark on his shell. I don't do water turtles, I have tortoises. So anyone near the Chino area that would be willing to take him. Please be experienced on water turtles and know how to take care of them if they're injured. Thanks please no negative comments. The turtle is not with me and I'll need to find a home by 3 today.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
No you can have them here. What should he do with it?

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
No they are legal in California sold all over the place but they are very invasive and most places around the world have non native populations of them from what I understand. I know we sure do in my neck of the woods

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a “Red eared slider” illegal to own as a pet in California if memory serves me correctly.
No, not illegal in California, but yes, illegal in Oregon. It's illegal to release them out in California's waterways, but not illegal to have in your pond or aquarium.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
No, not illegal in California, but yes, illegal in Oregon. It's illegal to release them out in California's waterways, but not illegal to have in your pond or aquarium.

In my unbiased opinion, these very invasive turtles should be illegal to own. Maybe we should give them endangered status and allow the capture of them for the overseas food markets.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
In my unbiased opinion, these very invasive turtles should be illegal to own. Maybe we should give them endangered status and allow the capture of them for the overseas food markets.
turtle-is-not-angry-turtle-is-disappointed-in-you-32802639.png

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
In my defense, I offer up this fun tid-bit; look them up for yourself.
Red-eared slider
The red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta elegans), also known as the red-eared terrapin, is a semiaquatic turtle belonging to the family Emydidae. It is a subspecies of the pond slider. It is the most popular pet turtle in the United States and is also popular as a pet in the rest of the world.[2] It has, therefore, become the most commonly traded turtle in the world.[3] It is native to the southern United States and northern Mexico, but has become established in other places because of pet releases, and has become an invasive species in many areas, where it outcompetes native species. The red-eared slider is included in the list of the world's 100 most invasive species[4] published by the IUCN.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
In my defense, I offer up this fun tid-bit; look them up for yourself.
Red-eared slider
The red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta elegans), also known as the red-eared terrapin, is a semiaquatic turtle belonging to the family Emydidae. It is a subspecies of the pond slider. It is the most popular pet turtle in the United States and is also popular as a pet in the rest of the world.[2] It has, therefore, become the most commonly traded turtle in the world.[3] It is native to the southern United States and northern Mexico, but has become established in other places because of pet releases, and has become an invasive species in many areas, where it outcompetes native species. The red-eared slider is included in the list of the world's 100 most invasive species[4] published by the IUCN.
I was just messin with you bro. lol

codyiler

5 Year Member
If this turtle was found, it is most likely wildlife, which is illegal to keep. If it was run over it should be given to a certified wildlife rehabilitator or rehabilitation center so that it can get the care that it needs to heal and be released back into the wild. Captive born red ear sliders are legal in most states, but wild caught should be kept wild.

Reactions: Ser