natural spring water

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
We have a natural spring close by would it be ok to use that water in a 55 gallon fish tank for my Cichlids?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most springs are very cold water. It would have to be heated for quite some time before adding fish. Also, check the quality, ph, etc for the type of cichlids you have and test the water. If might be better to use the tap water if it is closer to the water qualities they need. If all checks out, then there isn't any reason you can't use it, as long as it is safe for human consumption.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
pam said:
We have a natural spring close by would it be ok to use that water in a 55 gallon fish tank for my Cichlids?

Spring water is the best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the pH of the water, and what kind of cichlids? Is the water safe to drink?

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Cobalt blue, Red Jewel Cichlid, Bumblebee Cichlid are some of them. Yes the water is safe to drink and I have not tested the PH of the spring water. I have the the fish in a 29 gallon tank now i use tap water and they are doing fine. I was just thinking the spring water would be good because it was natural.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It would be good. I would just check the spring water to the water your using now. If there is a big difference, you may either need to chemically change it, higher, lower ph, temp, etc or add it slowly to what you are now using, in the same way you acclimate a new fish.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The red Jewell's are from west Africa and will prefer neutral to slightly acidic water. Your cobalts and bumblebees are from Malawi and will like the water very hard and alkaline. If your area has limestone underground then it will probably suit the Malawi cichlids very well. The jewels will likely tolerate it either way, but watch for compatibility issues there. As mean as the mbuna are those jewels can be absolute terrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.