National Reptile Breeder's Expo

PA2019

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Looking for thoughts on finding a young adult female elegans at the NRBE in August.

I have been patiently waiting for someone to have a 5.5-6.5" female for sale online, but all I ever see is either hatchlings or $2,250 + large adults.

Has anyone who went to the show in recent years seen what I am I looking for? It would be a 2 hour drive each way, but I would rather not make the drive if everything is sulcatas, redfoots, and ball pythons.

wccmog10

Georgia
I have been going to this show for years- I'm not going to make it this year though. Usually there are tons of ball pythons and leopard geckos, but there are several turtle and tortoise vendors as well. I do not ever recall seeing an elegans in the size you want, but I have never really looked. In the past few years adult sized salcutas have been available, but most everything else are little ones. My suggestion would be to go- enjoy one of the biggest (if not the biggest) herp shows in the country, and talk to the turtle people. If someone has babies of the species you are interested in- just tell them what you are looking for. They may have one that they didn't bring with them, or may know someone who has one. In my expieence most vendors enjoy talking about their herps. If someone were to bring a female in the size range you are talking about I don't imagine it would last very long- I would recommend going first thing.

-Wade

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Wade,

Thank you very much for the information. I had not considered the value of networking towards reaching my goal.

If anyone else out there has thoughts please post!