Name this Florida seasonal tortoise food item

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That seems like a waste
No
The torts eat it.
Technically its edible for humans. But there is a slight mouth numbing effect unless they are super ripe like this batch.
The "human food" part is the brown part.
If you know that. Then you'll know the name of the "fruit"

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Cashew Apple? Never heard if them. Almost (almost) looks like our very seasonal, but very tasty PawPaw fruit.

Yup, every cashew that you eat grew with one of those fruits attached.

Before I moved out of MD a few years ago, I collected and ate a bunch of Paw Paws from Susquehanna State Park. I think they didn't catch on because they're so thin skinned. Several got squished/damaged in my backpack. Very interesting taste to be sure. Gotta avoid the seeds though, they are quite bitter.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
The "apples" taste a lot like a star fruit or a Surinam cherry.
But, like I said. They have a mouth numbing effect also.

The numbing effect is good if that's what you're going for!

I'm not surprised that cashews grow in south FL. Seems like everything grows effortlessly there. I was down in Key West a couple weeks ago, and while walking around town, I saw that someone had just TAPED the roots of a regular Phalaenopsis orchid to the trunk of a palm tree, and it had dozens of beautiful flowers on it. It blew my mind. It was just electrical tape.

Close to the tree with the orchids we visited a lady that had a macaw rescue. It was a $10 donation to visit her backyard and listen to her spiel and ask questions. She easily had about 20 birds of all kinds in her small backyard: scarlet, indigo (Lear's), Military, as well as African gray parrots. She said that two Macaws really shouldn't be housed together, and was surprised to hear that the same goes for tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The numbing effect is good if that's what you're going for!

I'm not surprised that cashews grow in south FL. Seems like everything grows effortlessly there. I was down in Key West a couple weeks ago, and while walking around town, I saw that someone had just TAPED the roots of a regular Phalaenopsis orchid to the trunk of a palm tree, and it had dozens of beautiful flowers on it. It blew my mind. It was just electrical tape.

Close to the tree with the orchids we visited a lady that had a macaw rescue. It was a $10 donation to visit her backyard and listen to her spiel and ask questions. She easily had about 20 birds of all kinds in her small backyard: scarlet, indigo (Lear's), Military, as well as African gray parrots. She said that two Macaws really shouldn't be housed together, and was surprised to hear that the same goes for tortoises.
There are several very interesting sanctuaries of different kinds going down to the lower keys.
It seems like every time I go, I find another one.

Evelliott

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lehigh Acres, Florida
I've posted about this strange food item before.
What is it?
It is a cashew apple. The DO grow in southern FL. The nut is the hanging brown part, needs to be shelled and roasted.
The apple is a most fragrant and fragile fruit that can not be shipped or sold in markets.