Name that weed!! :)

adore

So I just remembered that there's a big, definitely not treated with anything, field in the back of the property where I live! I never go there because there's so many foxtails but they're all green now. So I took some pictures of all the plants I saw back there so I could identify them and find out if my Sully friend can eat them. If anyone happens to know these plants feel free to help me! If not I'll post what I find out in a couple of days (busy busy right now!)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1458059623.467930.jpg

I know #1 are foxtails before they dry out and become pokey & dangerous. Are they ok for sullies to eat when their green?

I also know that 8 are California poppies and I read that they're safe :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
foxtail
fiddleneck
filaree
?
vetch
?
?
california poppy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
safe to eat but seed heads can puncture skin or mouth and become infected
toxic parts
safe to eat
?
safe unless it molds
?
?
safe

adore

Thank you so much Yvonne & Yelloweyed! Sorry I haven't had a chance to finish researching this yet, but the info you both provided has been very helpful to me when picking food for my friend or taking him out to the field in back.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. They can eat the foxtails, but I don't intentionally offer them. I do feed the grass out before it goes to seed though.
2. Fiddleneck. The seed heads are reported to be toxic. I feed out the leaves and whole plants before they go to seed.
3. Filaree. Good tortoise food. Some don't find it palatable, but I mix it in with other stuff and they eat it all up.
4. Don't know.
5. Don't know.
6. Can't remember the name, but I feed it to mine all the time. I try to feed the young plants and leaves. What you have in the picture there is the seed heads.
7. Don't know.
8. I have no experience feeding that one.

Come to my place and I'll show you a few more common ones that are good. You need to find a good mallow source.

adore

Well I totally dropped the ball on this little project! Sorry 'bout that! I STILL haven't found a plant ID site/app that I love and I've looked through so many.

Anyone have any plant/tree/weed ID sites or apps that they can't live without? :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
#4 looks like some form of lupine, but it is a poor pic.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
#7 looks like Tidy Tips to me (Layia platyglossa). Are you in California? It would be blooming around the time of lupines and poppies.

It's in the sunflower family. It's a desert tortoise food, for what it's worth.

I am pretty sure #5 are seed pods from a lupine (#4) but it's hard to say without pictures of the leaves. Lupines are legumes and thus high in protein; I don't know what the general advice here is for them.

Nice plants!