Nails

Mattesj

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
My 8 year old has extremely long nails and I am thinking they should be trimmed. Do we trim nails like dogs? I may go to the vet because it kind of freaks me out a bit.

LauraJeanne

moving
Do you have a tortoise or a turtle? The Red Ear Slider Turtle has by nature very long nails that are not trimmed.
If a tortoise it may be best to let a veterinarian do it for the first time. If permitted watch how he does it.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Yes! Exotic vets do normally trim nails at a decent price. So if you have any concerns I would highly recommend just taking him in. As for doing it by yourself, don’t quote me, as I have never done this with my torts, but you DO NOT want to cut to close to the quick. I’ll tag some experts- @Tom @Yvonne G
Also to keep nails/ beak worn down from day to day, you can feed on slate, and put a flat rock or brick in there as well for a natural wearing down of the beak and claws (; our torts need their beauty routines too! Lol!

Mattesj

Spain
Do you have a tortoise or a turtle? The Red Ear Slider Turtle has by nature very long nails that are not trimmed.
If a tortoise it may be best to let a veterinarian do it for the first time. If permitted watch how he does it.
Leopard tortoise I think.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Leopard tortoise I think.
Leopards don't usually need their nails trimmed. If its is a female leopard tortoise and we are talking about the back nails, they are supposed to be long. They use them for digging nests.

A picture of the tortoise and nails in question will help us tremendously to give you a better answer.