Mystery tortoise found in west Texas

Saratx

Location (City and/or State)
Midland, Texas
34gosg7.jpg

Hi I found this little guy trying to cross a busy street in Midland TX. I dont know much about tortoises and I havent been able to find out what species it is. So I cant tell if its a native species or if its legal to release it here.
I found him pretty far from any kind of wilderness, and he doesnt bite. A little bit shy, but he may just be freaked out by the traffic or just being lost. So I dont know, may be captive bred but he is very active and wanting to escape from anywhere it seems. Ive put up ads online to see if there is an owner. But no luck so far. If no owner is found what should.I do?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
That looks like a lovely male ornate! Love his head!!

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh and he is native.

Elohi(Earth)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You are going to release her correct? You have not exposed her to any other captive reptiles right?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sounds like this is a escaped pet from someone if you say there are no any wilderness nearby. If no one come to clime him, you better turn him to the animal shelter. No one know where this box turtle been, he may carry something that may get entire colony of wiled turtles sick or dead.

I suggest: the animal shelter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sara, and welcome to the Forum!

Because you don't know the origin of the male ornate box turtle, it wouldn't be a good idea to release it. If you can't find his owner and don't want to keep him, then try to find a wildlife rehabber or rescue and turn him in to them.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
That is an absolutly beautiful Ornate box turtle. That green head is amazing! If he is an escaped pet then someone is surely very upset that he is gone. I know I would be. As stated, do not release him if you did not find him in a remote area. If you are in the market for a great companion turtle, this one would be excellent. Look up the care sheet and take care of him. If you are not, I am sure you would have no trouble finding him a great home.

Saratx

Midland, Texas
Hi again, thanks for your answers. I took him to a desert animal sanctuary and they told me.based on his behavior he is most likely a wild turtle that someone may have found and was trying to keep as a pet. That may explain why I found him where I did. That or he was living in one of the parks here in the city.
They released him at a 66acre park where they know he will find other ornates, a burrow and possibly a female.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I took him to a desert animal sanctuary and they told me.based on his behavior he is most likely a wild turtle that someone may have found and was trying to keep as a pet. That may explain why I found him where I did. That or he was living in one of the parks here in the city.
They released him at a 66acre park where they know he will find other ornates, a burrow and possibly a female.

Perfectly done my dear....that shell is a give away that this was a wild one.....:)

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
It's a good looking, very typical example (with the gray/blue head) of a desert box turtle (variation of an ornate) which are native to West Texas, NM, and parts of AZ. Google "Terrapene ornata luteola" and you'll see all about them.