my young male hermann keeps humping female.

kisungkoh

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Ontario
Hi
I have about a male and female pair , about 1.5 yrs old hermann , not sure how old they are exactly. I got them when they were pretty small.
Anyway, I believe that both have not reached sexually maturity yet but the male keeps humping the female .
Not sure if it's male domination like dogs , i doubt so though. I know that they are still way too young to mate, but im worried about the female gets stressed and wondering why the male does it?

Thanks for reading ! hope i can find some help.

daniellenc

Maryland
It’s time to separate and definitely if they’re kept indoors without room for her to escape and multiple places to hide. Torts just don’t do well in pairs after they begin to mature and are healthiest and happiest on their own.

kisungkoh

Toronto, Ontario
It’s time to separate and definitely if they’re kept indoors without room for her to escape and multiple places to hide. Torts just don’t do well in pairs after they begin to mature and are healthiest and happiest on their own.
Thanks for the quick reply Daniellenc.
In fact, the male one is my friend's, Im just babysitting him alot these days as my friend has been out of town too often. She is coming back at the end of the month before NYE. I hate to say but i have no extra tank and probably will have to leave them together for now ,hopefully my female doesn't get too much stressed.
I had no idea they can start maturing from this young age .

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Are you positive it’s a male and a female? It could easily be two males with the more dominant one “bullying” the weaker one. Hey - get OUT of my territory, get OUT of my food. “Joey doesn’t share” syndrome.

Good luck!

kisungkoh

Toronto, Ontario
Are you positive it’s a male and a female? It could easily be two males with the more dominant one “bullying” the weaker one. Hey - get OUT of my territory, get OUT of my food. “Joey doesn’t share” syndrome.

Good luck!
:)
wL8NlVF.jpg
zbi56Hr.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the quick reply Daniellenc.
In fact, the male one is my friend's, Im just babysitting him alot these days as my friend has been out of town too often. She is coming back at the end of the month before NYE. I hate to say but i have no extra tank and probably will have to leave them together for now ,hopefully my female doesn't get too much stressed.
I had no idea they can start maturing from this young age .
If that's the case, then what you're seeing isn't breeding behavior, but rather your tortoise telling the new tortoise to get out of his territory. This situation is stressful for both tortoises. Too bad your friend didn't also bring her tortoise's enclosure when she brought the tortoise for you to take care of.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
I have about a male and female pair , about 1.5 yrs old hermann , not sure how old they are exactly. I got them when they were pretty small.
Anyway, I believe that both have not reached sexually maturity yet but the male keeps humping the female .
Not sure if it's male domination like dogs , i doubt so though. I know that they are still way too young to mate, but im worried about the female gets stressed and wondering why the male does it?

Thanks for reading ! hope i can find some help.

They need to be separated immediately. The long term chronic stress is likely to kill your tortoise eventually. A large tub and a heat lamp won't cost that much. Or get in touch with your friend and figure out how to go get her enclosure.

Tortoises should never be kept in pairs.