My worst fears....Teiko is sick :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teiko's Mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest FL
After I read about poor little Roxy, it was just a few days later that little Teiko stopped eating and crawling around. We have had him about a month now and he's been doing great.He had been outside (here in fla it's been in the upper 80's during the day) and inside at night, our house stays about 79 at night. 4-5 days ago I noticed he hadn't eaten his breakfast and Teiko always would eat!. On Friday I had him right to the vet who gave him a shot of vit.A and B's.He said to keep him warm, soak everyday for 20 min in warm water and try to get him to eat something. So far, nothing. He just stays in his shell. I am really worried. I'll be taking him back tomorrow to the vet who will try and tube feed him. The vet says his lungs are ok, no breathing probs or anything....I'm so sad about this. Please pray for my little guy! Linda

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Linda: I really worry about that Vit.a shot. It can cause quite a bit of problems if the dosage isn't figured correctly.

Best thing for you to do is keep Teiko inside while he is sick, and up the heat a bit. When they're ill its good to keep them 80 and above day and night. Cover the habitat to keep the cool air from the house from flooding into the habitat. I use aluminum foil for this. Soak Teiko every day, because with the constant warm temp he will dehydrate quickly. Tortoises can go for quite a while without eating with no adverse effects. I think its too soon to tube feed your baby. Just keep trying to get him to eat. Warm...soak...and wave the food in front of his face every time you think about it.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
With not eating it sounds like a protozoan problem. The best thing for that is Flagyl, which the vet can give him by stomach tube.
Like Yvonne said I don't think force feeding right now would be good.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.