my upcoming outdoor enclosure

hdeaver1

My African Leopard Tortoise AKA Tortellini is going through a growth spurt. We will be moving to the hot temperatures of Las Vegas and I decided that the best home for him will be an outdoor enclosure. I am sure Tortellini will love the extra space to roam around in. I am going to follow a similar structure as the one posted here by Tom: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/
However, I am going to make my area bigger for him (I was thinking 8X10) Inside I am going to have an area with grass and the rest will be dirt with plants through out and a few places to hide under. Here are my questions:
1. What type of grass should I place in his enclosure
2. Can you suggest a few plants to place in his enclosure?
3. In your experience how long does these plants use when they are grazing? If this is available in his enclosure do I still need to bring him out food daily, or will he naturally graze on whats out there? How will I know that he's eating?!
4. Is it okay to let him out there all the time? When will Tort need to come inside?
5. Any ideas on creating a small shallow area for water that he could also soak in at will?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Bermuda.
Variety of common weeds, dandelion, filaree, mallow, hibiscus, roses, fruitless mulberry and the like.
Tortoise will plow down anything that they decide to walk over/through....so perhaps making a way to block new growth from the tort.
Yes, as long as there are plenty of thick shade spots or a way for the tort to get under ground. Freezing and flooding are good bring in reasons.
You can use a large teracotta plant saucer dish or anything of the like..

hdeaver1

So if its raining he's okay to stay out as long as it doesn't start to flood? Thanks for the suggestion on the plants...not sure how to block new growth I will have to think on that!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, just a little rain. Torrential rain is no good. They actually like tromping about in the wet (if it's still warm) Does he have a big shelter to hide in if he wants to stay dry?

hdeaver1

Yes, just a little rain. Torrential rain is no good. They actually like tromping about in the wet (if it's still warm) Does he have a big shelter to hide in if he wants to stay dry?
Currently he lives inside, but when we move to las Vegas I am going to create his outdoor enclosure. What are some good ideas for shelters he can use to stay dry in?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You can use pots turned on their side, create burrows out of plastic garbage cans (Lol, maybe a bit big for your tort) or you could make a hide out of wood... the pet store sells half-longs in different sizes fr reptiles.

hdeaver1

tort shelter.JPG tortshelter.JPG
right now he has a hollowed out piece of wood that he crawls under. I got it from the pet store, but it will need a replacement soon because it will be too small soon. Don't you think?